Lea Valley and Epping Forest ride, Sunday 17 June 2012

  • Francis Sedgemore
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2012
      Where: Lea Valley & Epping Forest Explorer
      When: Sunday 17 June 2012
      Meet: 10:00 @ Cutty Sark Gardens, SE10 9LW

      Brought to you by the South East London Commissariat for Social Cycle Rides Planning (aka the Dog & Bell Crew), a 70-ish kilometre riverside spin up the Lea Valley to Waltham Abbey, followed by a tour of Epping Forest. The return will follow the same path south from Waltham Abbey.

      The route to the River Lea Navigation will involve negotiating the Greenwich Foot Tunnel, the waterways through the Isle of Dogs, and the Regents and Hertford Union canals. The Lea towpath is blocked around the Olympic park, so we will have to find another way to Hackney Wick, where the path is open to points north. The Lea towpath will then take us north through Hackney, Walthamstow and Tottenham Marshes, before crossing the M25 just south of Waltham Abbey.

      We shall stop in the grounds of Waltham Abbey, before heading away from the river toward Epping Forest. I've yet to decide on the particular route we will take around the forest, and will post details here as and when I have them.

      Bring food, water, tools, puncture repair materials, and if possible a spare inner tube or two. The Lea path is a little rough in places, but still negotiable on skinny road bike tyres.

      If you're planning to come, please let me know either by email or phone. That said, there is no problem if you turn up unannounced at Cutty Sark Gardens.

      Francis
      07840 191336 (no texts please)

      journalist and science writer