Re: [greenwichcyclists] Reminder: Locks, Docks and a Wobbly Bridge ride, Saturday 26 May 2012

  • Stephen Rumble
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2012
      Hi,

      Looking forward to this, my first outing, as a newbie member. Perfect day for it

      Steve.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 24 May 2012, at 19:55, Francis Sedgemore <francis@...> wrote:

      Where: Locks, Docks and a Wobbly Bridge
      Meet: 11:00 @ Cutty Sark Gardens

      Unusually for me a short ride in the Great Wen, and a later start, for the benefit of the foggy of head. This ride is brought to you by the South East London Commissariat for Social Cycle Rides Planning (aka the Dog & Bell Crew).

      We will follow Barry Mason's classic Locks, Docks & One Smoking Ferry route east from Greenwich along the Thames Path, cross the river via the Woolwich Ferry, and then head west along the north side of the Albert Dock through the campus of the University of East London. From there it's on to the Thames Path north side, around the Isle of Dogs, and on to St Katherine's Dock.

      Instead of crossing the river via Tower Bridge, we will proceed through the City of London along Cornhill and Cheapside to St Paul's Cathedral, and from there south toward the river, which we will cross on foot via the Millennium Bridge to Bankside. For me this is one of the best views of the Thames and central London, with the contrast between the plate glass and brushed steel of the City on the north side, and Jacobean Southwark on the south bank.

      After crossing the Thames for the second time, we shall stop for a drink at the Founders Arms riverside pub by Bankside Gallery and the Tate Modern, before heading back toward the usual Locks & Docks route at Tower Bridge. We rejoin the Thames Path by Butler's Wharf, and remain on it pretty much all the way back to Greenwich.

      Total distance ~45km, and not a hill in sight. Weather forecast: Scorchio!

      Francis
      (07840 191336 - no texts please)

      journalist and science writer