Re: Breeze Champions

  • clairedonaldson84
    Message 1 of 2 , May 19, 2012
      Hi Jane

      I did the champion training and to be honest thought it was inadequate. As someone who is an avid cyclist, but with no previous experience of ride leading, I thought it was pretty poor they gave us the qualification having only had about 5 minutes actual riding practice, the rest of the course was all theory. That is perhaps the fault of the course structure which was run by BC, but not ideal, in my opinion, especially as they are aiming at inexperienced cyclists who will be nervous and need lots of attention on rides; you really need a confident ride leader for that. When I voiced my concerns they were brushed off.

      I have pulled out, in part due to lack of confidence in being able to do it properly, part completely unimpressed with their organisational skills, and part annoyance at exactly how much they expect you to do; to do it properly would be kind of like having a part time self employed job; been there, done that, no desire to do it again!

      Sorry this is a rather negative email, it's a real shame as I was so enthusiastic about the fact that this was targeting women, and really wanted to get involved; I take your point about there already being rides led by women, open to women by local groups like this one, but there are also a lot of women out there who would feel uncomfortable about cycling with any men at all due to personal circumstances, and it would have been great to be part of something offering a safe environment to these women....the cycling world is, if you'll excuse the phrase, very cock heavy, and can be an intimidating place for a female newbie to enter!

      Anyway that was meant to be two pence worth, looks more like a pound, I'll shut up now :)

      BW

      Claire