Re: [greenwichcyclists] Car hitting cyclist: ridiculous punishment

  • John Phillips
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2012
      Julian

      Can't help but emphasize with you; but what to do with the attitude and practices displayed by the driver, the police, the judiciary system and the law in these matters is beyond me.

      Yours in sorrow

      John

      On 4 May 2012 22:38, Mark Etherington <marke@...> wrote:

      One should always report a crime or accident to the police, but it is incorrect to say that 12 points on a driver's licence leads to automatic disqualification. There are many drivers out there with over 12 points on their licence who continue to drive legally:

      Mark

      On 4 May 2012, at 22:30, bob colover wrote:

      julian
      The cash fine might be low but there may have been reasons personal to the driver for that; you  undoubtedly did the right thing by running after the driver and giving evidence; that was NOT a waste of time;
      if the driver had already had 9 points they would have been disqualified then;

      The 6 points is the penalty that will hurt the most;
      it almost certainly will  have an impact on the drivers insurance  premium, and it has to be disclosed to the insurance company ;and if there are another 6 points in the next 3 years then there is a 6 month automatic disqualification once the driver reaches 12 points; if the driver already had 3 points then the disqualification is only one more mobile phone use or other infringement away
      we have to look out for each other
      bob