Car hitting cyclist: ridiculous punishment

  • Julian Dobson
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2012
      Several months ago I witnessed an accident involving a car and a cyclist at the junction of Weigall Rd and Eltham Rd (where I live). A car pulled out from Weigall Rd into Elham Rd, turning West towards Lee, and so crossing the Eastward bound lane. Not much traffic, but a cyclist was heading East. The car started to pull out, the cyclist (about 10 meters away) hollered. The car kept pulling out, and hit the cyclist broadside. The cyclist fell hard, and the car stopped. The driver had a phone in her hand, and I don't see how she could not have seen the cyclist. Even worse, she refused to get out to see how the cyclist was, and locked the doors.
      Last month, I was informed I didn't need to attend court, as the driver has been fined £100, plus £75 costs, and had 6 points added to license. I feel I wasted my time running after the car, and giving evidence. It's a laughable sentence. Not the polices fault, but following the recent debate in the house of commons, (or was it Lords) I feel I should write to my MP and ask why such ludicrous penalties are imposed (but I probably won't, cause it's more time wasted)

      Julian
    • bob colover
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2012
        julian
        The cash fine might be low but there may have been reasons personal to the driver for that; you  undoubtedly did the right thing by running after the driver and giving evidence; that was NOT a waste of time;
        if the driver had already had 9 points they would have been disqualified then;

        The 6 points is the penalty that will hurt the most;
        it almost certainly will  have an impact on the drivers insurance  premium, and it has to be disclosed to the insurance company ;and if there are another 6 points in the next 3 years then there is a 6 month automatic disqualification once the driver reaches 12 points; if the driver already had 3 points then the disqualification is only one more mobile phone use or other infringement away
        we have to look out for each other
        bob

[...]

      • Mark Etherington

[...]

        • John Phillips