Non-cycling matters

    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 3:22 AM

      To whom it may concern – please do not use this list to debate issues which have nothing to do with cycling.

      Thanks

      Anthony Austin, Coordinator

    • Francis Sedgemore
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 4:24 AM
        As one of the two active moderators of this list, I should perhaps clarify its purpose, and that of email discussion forums in general. I have this morning discussed this issue with my fellow moderator Tom Crispin, but am contributing here in a personal capacity.

        The Greenwich Cyclists Yahoo Group is a membership-based email discussion group for cyclists who either live in Greenwich, or have some other connection with the area. While its founders are LCC members, the list has no official connection with LCC. The list is moderated by individuals who operate by consensus, and, it is hoped, exercise good judgement.

        An email discussion group is just that - a forum for discussion. Topics for discussion should be cycling related, and that includes local issues which impact on the cycling community. There are no hard and fast rules about what constitutes a legitimate subject for discussion, and we should avoid being overly strict about this. With many years of experience of contributing to and managing online forums, I can tell you that formulaic email list management is inimical to creative thought and action, and can kill such forums stone dead.

        So use the list for discussion. Exercise your judgement, but do not be afraid to raise issues that may lead to robust debate. Just keep it good tempered and polite, avoid personal comments directed at other list members, and be respectful of others' opinions, no matter how wrong-headed you may imagine them to be.

        As that prat on the telly says, it's good to talk.

        journalist and science writer
        www.sedgemore.com