Crowhurst ride (Two counties, two churches and a pub), Saturday 21 April 2012

  • Francis Sedgemore
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17, 2012
      Where: Two counties, two churches and a pub
      When: Saturday 21 April 2012
      Meet: 10:00 @ General Wolfe statue in Greenwich Park

      Join Greenwich Cyclists on a 90-kilometre widdershins loop in the shape of the British Isles, taking in Kent, Surrey, two churches and a pub. A longish ride, hilly in places, but nothing too strenuous.

      Starting from Greenwich, we head due south through Lewisham and Bromley boroughs towards the top of the North Downs south of Biggin Hill, and from there descend through Tatsfield down to Limpsfield, and a first stop at a musical graveyard in the village church. From Limpsfield we then proceed to Oxted, and a refuelling stop in its renowned Weatherspoons public house.

      From Oxted town centre we head further south to Crowhurst, the furthest point on the ride, for a 4,000-year-old treat, before turning north back toward Oxted, and then east along the A25 through Westerham and Brasted. At Sundridge we leave the main road, heading northeast, with a slow climb to the top of Polhill. From Polhill it's then westish along quiet country roads to Halstead, and north down to the A21. After a short and fast spin along that Kentish highway, we head north through Green Street Green, and then wend our way around the houses toward St Paul's Cray and Chislehurst. From Chislehurst village it's onwards to Eltham, and from there back to Greenwich Park.

      Francis

      (07840 191336; no texts please)

      journalist and science writer