Proposed Cycle Improvement Schemes for LCN Route 2 - Key Stakeholder Consultation

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2012
    Proposed Cycle Improvement Schemes for LCN Route 2 - Key Stakeholder Consultation

    Please send me any comments you may have, for onward transmission to Greenwich Council.

    Gareth notes this relates to a proposed improvement to convert the footway along Rochester Way between Riefield Road and Welling Way (near Falconwood station) into a shared use cycle/pedestrian path, in the process widening the path and installing dropped kerbs for cycles.

    This seems to me a very worthwhile and genuinely useful scheme given that Rochester Way at this point is (I think) a 40 mph road and also given that, with the surrounding woodland on either side, there are few options for travelling east-west on a bike in this vicinity. Currently the only nearby alternative for such journeys is to cycle through Eltham Park South which contains narrow pathways often frequented by dog walkers. Also the existing footways and verge on Rochester Way in the area of the proposed improvements are very wide, providing ample width for a shared-use path.

    Best Regards, Gareth

    Please find attached a consultation letter regarding proposed cycle improvement schemes for LCN Route 2. Please note that this scheme is part of the Local Implementation Plan (LIP) 2011/2012 programme for Cycle Schemes within the borough and a budget from Transport for London has been allocated to it.

    Kind Regards

    Sam

    Samantha Thirlwell
    Senior Traffic Engineer
    Traffic Directorate of Regeneration, Enterprise & Skills
    The Woolwich Centre
    35 Wellington Street
    London
    SE18 6HQ
    Tel No. 0208 921 3982

  • scarlgar
    Message 2 of 2 , Feb 20, 2012
      Hi Anthony,

      Having considered the matter further, I have some additional comments on the proposed improvements to convert the footway along Rochester Way between Riefield Road and Welling Way (near Falconwood station) into a shared use cycle/pedestrian path, in the process widening the path and installing dropped kerbs for cycles.

      To recap my previous comments, this seems to me a very worthwhile and genuinely useful scheme given that Rochester Way at this point is a 40 mph road and also given that, with the surrounding woodland on either side, there are few options for travelling east-west on a bike in this vicinity. Currently the only nearby alternative for such journeys is to cycle through Eltham Park South which contains narrow pathways often frequented by dog walkers. Also the existing footways and verge on Rochester Way in the area of the proposed improvements are very wide, providing ample width for a shared-use path.

      However in order to enhance the utility of the scheme for cyclists, in my opinion it should be extended to include all of the footway along Rochester Way from Riefield Road as far as the junction with Crookston Road / Dumbreck Road - currently it only goes as far as the junction with Welling Way. The width of the existing verge and footway all along this stretch - on both the north and south side of Rochester Way -  are sufficient to allow such an extension of the scheme.

      The result of extending the scheme would be to provide cyclists with a very safe off-road route (Rochester Way is 40 mph limit all along this stretch) avoiding the unpleasant junction with Welling Way entirely (somebody travelling eastwards from e.g. Crookston Road could cross onto the southern footway on Rochester Way and continue all the way to Riefield Road, avoiding the Welling Way junction), so that they could make useful east-west journeys, between Greenwich and Bexley boroughs.

      Please could you pass these comments on to Greenwich Council (deadline 27th Feb).

      Thanks,

      Gareth