RE: Proposed Cycle Improvement Schemes for LCN Route 64 and 66 - Key Stakeholder Consultation

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2011

      Many thanks for this Roger. I will pass on these points.

      Anthony

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2012
        Roger - you're right that there's room for mandatory cycle lane here, but why not a decent segregated cycle road? Ideally there should be a high quality cycle route, segregated from traffic as far as possible, to connect North Greenwich station (and GMV, and Millennium School) to Trafalgar Road and Woolwich Road for when the Cycle Superhighway comes through.

        And my personal opinion is that ASLs are worse than useless. They encourage risk-taking by cyclists to reach the box, but too often a motorised vehicle has crossed the first stop line before stopping leading to conflict; increasingly I see cars and vans that don't manage to stop until they're over the second line. Signalised controlled junctions which have a separate early green line for cyclists giving them the priority are the way forward.

        It's 2012. Time to Go Dutch!

        http://lcc.org.uk/pages/go-dutch

        All best,

        Mark

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2012
          Proposed Cycle Improvement Schemes for LCN Route 64 and 66 - Key Stakeholder Consultation

          Dear Sam,

          Thanks for consulting us about this. I have solicited opinions from our members online and we also discussed the matter at our regular meeting tonight.

          In general we welcome the proposed changes and would ask that you consider installing Advanced Stop Lines for cyclists with feeder lanes at these and all other signalised junctions.

          Kind regards

          Anthony

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2012

            Proposed Cycle Improvement Schemes for LCN Route 64 and 66 - Key Stakeholder Consultation

            Eastern Avenue/Nathan Way

            This is a signalised junction where we would like to see ASLs with feeder lanes.

            Combedale Rd/Woolwich Rd

            We welcome the proposed improvements which benefit pedestrians perhaps more than cyclists while remaining sceptical about the relative importance of this junction; the real issue here is east-west cycling on Woolwich Road under the flyover.

            North Greenwich Peninsula

            This is also largely a non-event but the advisory lanes should be mandatory; vehicles emerging from the car park should give way to cyclists. Given the plentiful space and dearth of pedestrians, there is room for a segregated cycle track to link North Greenwich station and Millennium School with Trafalgar Road and Woolwich Road – route of the next Cycle Superhighway.