Re: [greenwichcyclists] Re: Despite the police objection! (20mph in Islington)

  • scarlgar
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2011
      Stuart,

      Yes I suspect you are the only one, at least on this eGroup.

      In a densely populated city how can it ever be possible not to be "putting yourself in the way of moving traffic"? In light of this the speed of that traffic needs to be such that a pedestrian if hit is not seriously or fatally wounded.

      It is nonsense to say that driving at or below 20 mph is difficult - you should try changing to a lower gear. In fact it is much more difficult to drive at speeds which are unsafe for the ambient conditions - which for most London streets is anything above 20 mph. In fact driving at < 20 mph is more pleasant even for most drivers, if only they could kick their addiction to speeding.

      As a cyclist and pedestrian I feel infinitely safer when the cars around me are travelling at 20 mph or less.

      So sorry, I disagree with you on all counts and for the sake of the 20,000 + who are killed or seriously injured in the UK every year, I hope most people share my opinion.

      Gareth

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2011
        I wonder what the Police object to, does anyone know?

        Also any clues as to how it would be implemented?
        Speed bumps and or speed cameras on every road, building those annoying bits of kerb that stick out into the road, employing an army of traffic police?

        I can't think of any way it could be done without enormous effort and expense.

        Side roads, smaller roads, near schools etc. etc. I'm all for keeping the speed down to 20mph or below, that's common sense and most drivers wouldn't exceed that anyway but on large main roads the 30mph limit is already perfectly good imho

        Anyway I realise I'm writing more as a driver here so as a cyclist I'm quite happy for cars to go at car speed and me to pootle along at my speed. Forcing a motorised vehicle to go at the same speed as my little legs can make me go seems silly. Spending effort and money to improve the space on the road to reduce the chances of the two clashing seems more sensible to me