HH/Essex/Wednesday meetings

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001
      ITN: a zero percent chance of rain tomorrow so the velodrome is on on on. See you at Cutty Sark at 11am or there at Burbage Road Dulwich around 1pm. (Phew, just been trying to put Falling Leaves plan b sketch route onto my OS maps...and gave up). Some of us might go up to Primrose Hill 7.30pm fireworks after...huge views over rest of London bangs.

      Essex ride Sunday....meet 10am very sharp Liverpool Street for Manningtree train at 10.10am.....or 9am Cutty Sark for ride to Liverpool Street. At Manningtree we'll see Constable's Flatford Mill, then head east. (And, win some/lose some, I've just found a new ferry........Harwich to Shotley....summer only. Next year).

      It's our monthly meeting this Wednesday 7.30pm 177 Greenwich Forum Trafalgar Road....ends 9pm then pub option opposite. I'll put an agenda out in a day or so....do you have anything you want on it? Main items: Thames Path rangering and Thames Water; Women's Festival 2002, Rides and Events, Money (ie we have none, no worries)(ed: yeah right). Stuff can always be aired in the last 30 minutes or so.

      Got home to two envelopes containing notice of a "Meridian Gateway" meeting next Wednesday.....clashes with ours. "The Creekside Renewal Board invites local residents and organisations to attend a discussion meeting with the developers of the Meridian Gateway scheme in Creek Road". No phone number, no email, no address for CRB, no name.....hopeless. The meeting is at 7pm on 7 November in the Armada Hall, 21 McMillan Street, Deptford. Can anyone go and take notes? This is the big tyre depot etc site just west of Deptford Creek and south of the new Fairview stuff.The "where it is bit" on the leaflet is a hoot.......the site is "approximately 533 metres from the CS DLR station and 845 metres from Greenwich mainline". I'll anyway complain about short notice and lack of contact details on leaflet. It's an important bit next to fab Laban and the sketches show Offices, Residential and health/leisure. Creekside bike etc path is essential, yes? Has the hotel scheme gone?

      Last April a dozen of us trained it to St Ives, did Tate, and rode the 50 hilly miles to the Eden Project bubbles. 3 nights away. Ride down the east coast next April? Or where? Or not?

      Barry
      George Washington/Jeepers Creepers added up to a fine double bill last night

    • Richard Marston
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2001
        --- In greenwichcyclists@y..., "masonb" <masonb@s...> wrote:
        > ITN: a zero percent chance of rain tomorrow so the velodrome
        is on on on.

        That was a fantastic afternoon, if it were summer daylight hours I
        would have gladly done a couple more hours. And great being
        coached by Russel Williams (track racing champion and TV
        commentator). I was a little nervous of the fixed wheel at first
        (Russell: "Whatever you do, DON"T stop pedalling once you
        cross the finish line!"), probably how I'd feel carrying a loaded
        gun, but we all managed allright, didn't we?

        I think I preferred the solo riding to the racing, just serenely
        TT-ing it and not having to worry about junctions and potholes,
        etc, though I will admit that my sprint finish against Paul in the
        first race was great fun -- but did anyone get a photo of the
        finish? Who won it?

        Also did someone find out if there are 'open' sessions available?
        I'd like to go back and do some more, especially as the place
        seems threatened with closure before next easter -- Manchester
        is a long way to travel to by comparison.

        > Last April a dozen of us trained it to St Ives, did Tate, and rode
        the 50 hilly miles to the Eden Project bubbles. 3 nights away.
        Ride down the east coast next April? Or where? Or not?

        North Wales coastal ride? Could detour inland sometimes. Lots
        of castles, Portmerion, etc. Just a thought, perhaps a bit
        ambitious for a long weekend?
      • Christopher Le Breton
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2001
          Herne Hill - closure.... this is dreadful news.
          what campaign can we launch/ support/ kick start to keep it going??
          This is a campaign for the LCC to get into.
          Chris