Re: [greenwichcyclists] Speed limit in Greenwich Park

  • John Hearns
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2011
      On 31 October 2011 20:05, Tom Crispin <tom@...> wrote:

      Whilst a bicycle is propelled by mechanics, it does not fall under the
      definition of a mechanically propelled vehicle: they are powered by
      steam, electricity, petrol/diesel engine etc.

      Not so. Bicycles are well know to be powered by cake.

    • Francis Sedgemore
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2011
        As any fule no, David Senior's bike is powered by bacon sarnies, and Tom Crispin's by sausage baguettes (or at least it was, until he got married).

        On 1 Nov 11, at 10:27, John Hearns wrote:

        On 31 October 2011 20:05, Tom Crispin <tom@...> wrote:

         Whilst a bicycle is propelled by mechanics, it does not fall under the

        definition of a mechanically propelled vehicle: they are powered by
        steam, electricity, petrol/diesel engine etc.

        Not so. Bicycles are well know to be powered by cake.

        journalist and science writer

      • katie Collis

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 19, 2013
            While I feel that it is good practice for cyclists to respect speed
            limits, I had always understood that speed limits do not apply to
            cyclists anywhere except the Royal Parks. However, I note that the
            March 2010 Park regulations redefine vehicle to be "a mechanically
            propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on a road" and that a
            bicycle is a human propelled vehicle.

            Does that mean that cyclists cannot be issued with a fixed penalty
            notice or prosecuted for cycling at over 20mph in Greenwich Park?

            http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/1194/pdfs/uksi_20101194_en.pdf