Tate Bikeside

    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2000
      From your arts correspondant....

      Watched the queue of 400 line in to Tate Modern at 10am, Nick Serota shaking hands and staff clapping us in....sunny day.

      Once inside I nearly cried......you have to see it. It's staggering and works on every level: art, building, landscaping, chutzpah......Take the lift to the top, 7th, floor and marvel at London's finest view.....there are lovely little reading places all the way down with the view and some open balconies.

      The size, the art, the shere guts of doing it.......if that doesn't move this country into the late C20th nothing will.

      The Mark Gerlter that grabbed Southwak Cyclists logo is on level 5, west gallery.

      Beautiful sheltered, camerad, lit, swiss bike parking for 32x2 right by the main entrance. Ace bike parking for staff too. I bumped into Peter Wilson, Director of Buildings and Galleries, who said if the racks fill up, they'll provide more. He's a keen cyclist. Good recruiting ground for Southwark Cyclists.

      When I left there were 24 bikes on the racks and probably 2,000 people in there.

      The building can hold 18,000 visitors...........and most of it is free.

      Before it opened met lucky Dusselldorfer who asked "what's happnin man?"......nice holiday event.

      What is it about the Evenoing Standard....got interviewed on way out.

      London. World city. Love it.