Re: [greenwichcyclists] Re: [lewishamcyclists] Fwd: Toucan Crossing - A2 Blackheath

  • John Hearns
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 15, 2011
      On 15 April 2011 09:32, West Greenwich CARA <wgcara@...> wrote:

      I am not sure about the black-out thing either - the green man certainly starts flashing when you are half way across, sending my four year old daughter into a panic. It is a very short window to cross in.

      What a terrible state we are in in this country, when people crossing the road are afraid of their lives when a green light goes out.
      By that I mean it is quite clear when you are taught to drive that if a pedestrian is already crossing at a light-controlled crossing and the flashing amber comes on then you as a driver DO NOT have the right to proceed.
      Obviously, a lot of agressive drivers are ignoring this, as they ignore the Highway Code rule about giving way to pedestrians crossing a side street when you are turning off a road.

    • Tom Crispin
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 15, 2011
        If I recall correctly, the Blackheath Gates A2 crossing is a toucan.
        The green man and cycle remain lit with a bleeping sound for about
        four seconds. Then the green man and cycle go out and the bleeping
        stops. The red man comes on at a later time. As far as I know there is
        no flashing green or flashing amber light as part of the sequence.

        On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 11:29:14 +0100, you wrote:

        >On 15 April 2011 09:32, West Greenwich CARA <wgcara@...> wrote:
        >

        >> I am not sure about the black-out thing either - the green man certainly
        >> starts flashing when you are half way across, sending my four year old
        >> daughter into a panic. It is a very short window to cross in.
        >>
        >> What a terrible state we are in in this country, when people crossing the
        >road are afraid of their lives when a green light goes out.
        >By that I mean it is quite clear when you are taught to drive that if a
        >pedestrian is already crossing at a light-controlled crossing and the
        >flashing amber comes on then you as a driver DO NOT have the right to
        >proceed.
        >Obviously, a lot of agressive drivers are ignoring this, as they ignore the
        >Highway Code rule about giving way to pedestrians crossing a side street
        >when you are turning off a road.
      • Roger Stocker
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 19, 2011

          Tom is correct in that Toucan crossings do not have a flashing amber stage. There SHOULD be a sensor on the crossing so that the lights do not change for motors until the crossing has been cleared by pedestrians/cyclists. The green man and cycle should show and even when it goes out there should be time to complete the crossing – of course if you start to cross after the green man goes out… If the lights change for motors whilst you are still trying to cross then this should mean there is something wrong with the sensor and should be reported to TfL – I would also copy this to both Lewisham and Greenwich officers.

          Sayign that most people don’t know what the flashing amber means at traffic signals – neither peds or motorists.

          Roger

          If I recall correctly, the Blackheath Gates A2 crossing is a toucan.
          The green man and cycle remain lit with a bleeping sound for about
          four seconds. Then the green man and cycle go out and the bleeping
          stops. The red man comes on at a later time. As far as I know there is
          no flashing green or flashing amber light as part of the sequence.

          On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 11:29:14 +0100, you wrote:

          >On 15 April 2011 09:32, West Greenwich CARA <wgcara@...> wrote:
          >

          >> I am not sure about the black-out thing either - the green man certainly
          >> starts flashing when you are half way across, sending my four year old
          >> daughter into a panic. It is a very short window to cross in.
          >>
          >> What a terrible state we are in in this country, when people crossing the
          >road are afraid of their lives when a green light goes out.
          >By that I mean it is quite clear when you are taught to drive that if a
          >pedestrian is already crossing at a light-controlled crossing and the
          >flashing amber comes on then you as a driver DO NOT have the right to
          >proceed.
          >Obviously, a lot of agressive drivers are ignoring this, as they ignore the
          >Highway Code rule about giving way to pedestrians crossing a side street
          >when you are turning off a road.

          size=1 width="100%" noshade color="#aca899" align=center>

          No virus found in this message.