Cyclinginstructor.com

  • TERESA GRIFFITH
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 4:09 AM
      I've just completed four days training with Paul Lowe's company.  These are the points that I want to try to remember to impart to trainees (particularly children)

      • No talking when we're talking
      • Listen when somebody is talking
      • What do we do when someone is struggling?
      • If someone needs special attention - don't just pick them out - pick out another one to keep them company
      • Asthma - where's your pump? When did you last use it?
      • They can bring a snack but don't give them anything else - other than water (they may be allergic)
      • If someone is unhelpful take them to one side and say "Why do you think I'm taking you to one side?"
      • Make sure they're not going into a park full of people who may be less than helpful
      • Sometimes you have to make sure that traffic conditions are challenging - you can't just take them into "safe" situations

      For me: I realise now that my signalling has been a bit wishy-washy/ambiguous - am also a bit closer to the kerb than I thought.   Looking over the shoulder is great - it really makes traffic back off.  Because I had a wing mirror I haven't been bothering with that. If you have to make an emergency stop Deke advocates shouting to friends/cyclists behind and braking.  I'd been doing a slowing down sign with one hand and braking with the other.

      Deke and Craig the tutors were young but I wish I could have videoed them ... they are :

      dedicated
      inspirational
      "radical" (ie, in the "cool" sense)
      strong
      emphatic
      engaging
      responsible

      I would totally recommend anyone to try one of their courses.

      Kind regards

      Teri

    • katie Collis