Closure of Foxhole Road subway

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15, 2011

      I have filed the following Freedom of Information request with Greenwich Council.

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 19, 2011

      Hi Anthony,

      As a ‘local’ resident I’ve put together a few notes about the subway and nearby paths. I wasn’t involved in the closure process;

      The Rochester Way Relief Road was built by the GLC in the 1980’s. I wasn’t involved in the initial design but discussed the options for creating a linear cycle route with the GLC cycle project team before the landscaping details were finalised.  In the ensuing years there has been a history of anti-social behaviour largely cantered around the subways such as extensive broken glass, vandalism, burnt-out cars and motorbikes and  intimidating gangs hurling abuse and assaulting anyone brave enough to venture onto these secluded paths.  In the 90’s there had been calls by the police and others on several occasions to close the paths and subways entirely and I had to defend their use as useful and important routes for cyclists. To give credit to Greenwich council it didn’t see that permanent closure was a desirable outcome and the environment has improved considerably in recent years.

      Unfortunately the section around Foxhole subway retained an attraction to anti-social behaviour and I’d always found the path covered in broken glass and often partially blocked by stolen and trashed motorbikes and other debris. In fact I avoided using the path because of this.  Most of this anti-social behaviour was (and still isn’t) recorded so you can’t rely on the crime statistics to highlight this issue.  The nearby residents had obviously had enough and lobbied for the subway closure but I didn’t know about this until long after it had been done so I don’t know if a TRO was issued to formalise the stopping up.

      This isn’t quite the same as the Hexagon Estate path closure because Foxhole wasn’t part of the LCN and the subway was very rarely used.  I agree that the Council should explain the full reasons for closure and confirm if the correct legal procedure was followed.  For those not familiar with the area the path from Foxhole subway running along the northern edge of Rochester Way Relief Road is very secluded and leads to Well  Hall Rd in the east and Westhorne Avenue in the west. There are no other ways off it such as to the park or sports ground.

      I have attached a few pictures taken last Tuesday evening when I rode past with a friend.

      Regards,

      Paul

      07740 082779