International Women's Festival 2002/Saturday

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 10, 2001
      We've just been sent forms inviting us to arrange events/activities for next March's IWF.

      We did 6 by-women for-women events last March (see report under Ride Reports at www.greenwichcyclists.org.uk). 4 varied rides and 2 classes. The events went very well, were well received and stood out in the Greenwich Council brochure amongst mostly sedentary activities. We got a £400 grant. 66 women tried the 21 hours of events. 265 contact hours at £1.51 an hour to arrange. Incredible value.

      The deadline for 2002 applications is Friday 26 October.

      Great if the women in the group could take this on again please....a small team......creating the events, filling in the form, organising all. I'll gladly chuck in ideas etc etc if needed. It's very important we go for this: not simply to get new people cycling, and for our profile, but also for the very useful running costs earned. Money's getting tight.....

      I'm away all next week. Please let me know before Monday night that you want to help and I'll put you all in touch.....or mail the group with ideas.

      Friday: 1-8pm, Albany, Deptford: Traffic Calming north Lewisham exhibition. And on Saturday 10-4. Try, go, comment. (And watch out for impending way too long overdue revival of the Albany.....).

      Saturday: 10am Cutty Sark: Locks, Docks etc.......all day docklands explore with free cruise and option of dropping off before or after lunch or staying on all day. 15 or 30 flat ones.

      Sunday: we have have just enough tentacles to get the octopus to Crown Woods School.....but if surf's not up and you're suddenly free...meet at 9am Cuttle Shark for ride to Dulwich Park to pick the mollusc up, or meet there at London Recumbents at 9.30am....or at the school......Riefield Road, Eltham. 11am onwards. Lobster things to do for not many squid. Go on, don't be uncrabby.

      Barry

      Madrid next week.........Easyjet cheap dawn flight booked/paid on their wonderfully simple website. Dead cheap dead central street noisy till 4am hotel booked by email direct to them. Currency ordered from Post Office via their website. (ed: what a load of calamares).

    • Karen
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 11, 2001
        Hi Barry,

        You can add my name to the BWFW event for next year. Not sure what is required, but
        I'll help out if I can.

        Have fun in Spain... Hasta la vista, Barry!

        Karen

        --- masonb <masonb@...> wrote:
        > We've just been sent forms inviting us to arrange events/activities for next
        > March's IWF.
        >
        > We did 6 by-women for-women events last March (see report under Ride Reports at
        > www.greenwichcyclists.org.uk). 4 varied rides and 2 classes. The events went very
        > well, were well received and stood out in the Greenwich Council brochure amongst
        > mostly sedentary activities. We got a �400 grant. 66 women tried the 21 hours of
        > events. 265 contact hours at �1.51 an hour to arrange. Incredible value.
        >
        > The deadline for 2002 applications is Friday 26 October.
        >
        > Great if the women in the group could take this on again please....a small
        > team......creating the events, filling in the form, organising all. I'll gladly
        > chuck in ideas etc etc if needed. It's very important we go for this: not simply
        > to get new people cycling, and for our profile, but also for the very useful
        > running costs earned. Money's getting tight.....
        > I'm away all next week. Please let me know before Monday night that you want to
        > help and I'll put you all in touch.....or mail the group with ideas.

        > Friday: 1-8pm, Albany, Deptford: Traffic Calming north Lewisham exhibition. And on
        > Saturday 10-4. Try, go, comment. (And watch out for impending way too long overdue
        > revival of the Albany.....).

        > Saturday: 10am Cutty Sark: Locks, Docks etc.......all day docklands explore with
        > free cruise and option of dropping off before or after lunch or staying on all
        > day. 15 or 30 flat ones.

        > Sunday: we have have just enough tentacles to get the octopus to Crown Woods
        > School.....but if surf's not up and you're suddenly free...meet at 9am Cuttle
        > Shark for ride to Dulwich Park to pick the mollusc up, or meet there at London
        > Recumbents at 9.30am....or at the school......Riefield Road, Eltham. 11am onwards.
        > Lobster things to do for not many squid. Go on, don't be uncrabby.
        >

        > Barry
        >
        > Madrid next week.........Easyjet cheap dawn flight booked/paid on their
        > wonderfully simple website. Dead cheap dead central street noisy till 4am hotel
        > booked by email direct to them. Currency ordered from Post Office via their
        > website. (ed: what a load of calamares).

        =====
        http://personals.yahoo.com
      • Kate Lees
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 12, 2001
          Put me down for this - which date in March is it?
          Have a good trip to Spain!
          Kate

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 19, 2001
            =====
            http://personals.yahoo.com
          • roger@jollyrog.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 19, 2001
              Hmmm...

              Barry asked me to cover an Essex ride for him tomorrow, so I'll be at
              Liverpool Street to do so. I'm not sure how many people he's told about
              this one, it's not on the ride list and I can't find any email about it in
              the usergroup.

              But...

              Liverpool Street, 10am, under the train describer board.
              30(ish) miles in Essex, up towards Manningtree. Not the same route that
              we did last time, in case anybody asks!

              Roger

              -------------------------------------
              Roger Seaward
              Roger@...
              http://www.jollyrog.com
              +44 7956 254836
              (07956 254836 in the UK)
              -------------------------------------
            • doug
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 19, 2001
                Are you sure you are not confused with the ride last Sunday that was cancelled?

                There are no rides advertised for this weekend.

                Doug.

              • roger@jollyrog.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 21, 2001
                  > Are you sure you are not confused with the ride last Sunday that was
                  > cancelled?
                  > There are no rides advertised for this weekend.

                  No, he was quite specific that there was a ride scheduled to the Essex
                  Delta for yesterday. We discussed it at lunch last Saturday, then he
                  brought his maps along last Sunday to Crown Wood School. On Monday he sent
                  me an email with some suggestions.

                  > There are no rides advertised for this weekend.

                  Do you mean that I stayed up until 2am on Saturday morning working out a
                  decent route and programming it into the GPS for nothing? Eeek...

                  As it happens, we *did* have a GC ride yesterday. Karen turned up at
                  Liverpool Street. It wasn't worth going North for two of us, so we went to
                  Richmond instead, via Evans cycles. A good ride but very muddy on the
                  Thames path. My knowledge of birds was doubled when a three year old in
                  Battersea Park told me "Goose, it goes honk honk". We had a look at the
                  Octobike which has found its way to Battersea this week (it's still not
                  perfect I was told). Coffee in the park, beer (mmm... beer) at the Old
                  Ship in Mortlake, more coffee at the golf club in Richmond Park. Round the
                  park, Kew, Chiswick and Dukes Meadows on the way back, before getting our
                  feet wet in foot deep flood water on Chiswick Mall, by Fullers Brewery
                  (mmm... beer). Actually, Karen got her feet wet. I was wearing waterproof
                  socks which worked very well and kept my feet dry all the way home,
                  despite my shoes getting soaked and doubling in weight! Home via
                  Hammersmith, Putney then roads on the South side of the river after
                  Battersea Park. We went our separate ways at Tower Bridge. I stopped at
                  the jetwash at Deptford to make my bike clean again.

                  Did I mention that I have a very nice Essex route programmed into the GPS
                  that we can do at sometime in the future?

                  Roger

                  -------------------------------------
                  Roger Seaward
                  Roger@...
                  http://www.jollyrog.com
                  +44 7956 254836
                  (07956 254836 in the UK)
                  -------------------------------------
                • sarah dodsworth
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 21, 2001
                    anything next week? I have a w/e with nothing planned
                    First for months
                    Sarah

                  • roger@jollyrog.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 21, 2001
                      There's the exciting ride on Saturday to the LCC's AGM (?) or another
                      Richmond trip on the Sunday.

                      That sounds a bit duff on Saturday (sorry Barry), especially as not all GC
                      members are LCC members. Perhaps we should do something else?

                      Roger

                      -------------------------------------
                      Roger Seaward
                      Roger@...
                      http://www.jollyrog.com
                      +44 7956 254836
                      (07956 254836 in the UK)
                      -------------------------------------
                    • xina.gooding
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 21, 2001
                        Hello Roger

                        Do you mind telling me where I might acquire some waterproof socks?

                        Xina

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 21, 2001
                          Xina,

                          I got mine from Evans Cycles. They're the Seal Skinz mid-light sock, code
                          X726, price �19.99/pair. (�17.99 if you have LCC discount).

                          There's also a mid-thermal version if you want to keep your toes warm,
                          code X272, �24.99/pair (�22.49 with LCC discount).

                          Despite what the washing instructions say, *never* dry them in a tumble
                          dryer or on a radiator. Just hang them up somewhere and let them dry
                          naturally, else you turn the waterproof membrane inside into a crinkle
                          crisp. I killed a couple of pairs recently by doing this and have just had
                          to buy four more. Apart from that, just wash them normally with your
                          household wash.

                          It's quite an odd feeling having squishy shoes, with a layer of water
                          between the sock and the shoe but perfectly dry feet.

                          Roger

                          -------------------------------------
                          Roger Seaward
                          Roger@...
                          http://www.jollyrog.com
                          +44 7956 254836
                          (07956 254836 in the UK)
                          -------------------------------------
                        • roger@jollyrog.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 21, 2001
                            Oops... the mid-thermal code should have been X727.

                            Roger

                            -------------------------------------
                            Roger Seaward
                            Roger@...
                            http://www.jollyrog.com
                            +44 7956 254836
                            (07956 254836 in the UK)
                            -------------------------------------
                          • doug
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 21, 2001
                              How about using two plastic shopping bags instead? Much cheaper and
                              recycled too!

                              Serious question... If you are wearing shorts and have bare legs, how do
                              you stop water running down inside the waterproof socks?

                              Doug

                            • roger@jollyrog.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 22, 2001
                                Doug,

                                I'm sure this was very trendy in the 1970's, but I'm 32 and would prefer
                                *not* to look like something from out of "Last of the Summer Wine".

                                To answer your second question... I recently bought some Gore-Tex
                                overshoes which go some way to preventing that. Short of wearing proper
                                waterproof trousers (which I've never liked) I don't think there's a
                                perfect solution. I've had my eye on a pair of Gore-tex gaiters in Field &
                                Trek, meant for walkers but possibly ideal for a little bit of leg
                                protection without going as far as trousers.

                                Roger

                                Roger Seaward
                                Roger@...
                                http://www.jollyrog.com