Re: [greenwichcyclists] Second hand bikes

  • John Hearns
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2011
      My honest advice to people looking for a second hand bike is to go to Decathlon.
      You will get a brand new bike, of a size to suit you. they have plenty of 'city' models which look well suited to London commuting and pootles, and and extremely good value.

      Well worth flagging up the Freecycle lists to anyone who asks about bikes - join your local list, ask for a bike and see what is offered. Or just get the digest list and see when bikes are offered.

      Please don't encourage the trade in stolen bikes at Brick Lane.
    • Francis Sedgemore
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2011
        While we must of course avoid encouraging the trade in stolen bikes on Brick Lane and elsewhere, we should support the legitimate second-hand market.

        For one thing, finding the right bike is something of an empirical exercise. For some it may require a considerable amount of trial and error, and the market for second-hand bikes is a good thing for those with more limited financial resources. Recycling of unused cycling gear – with a financial return for those offloading their stuff – also makes sense from an ecological perspective.

        Francis

        Greenwich Cyclists <greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com>
        On 6 Feb 11, at 17:57, John Hearns wrote:

        My honest advice to people looking for a second hand bike is to go to Decathlon.
        You will get a brand new bike, of a size to suit you. they have plenty of 'city' models which look well suited to London commuting and pootles, and and extremely good value.

        Well worth flagging up the Freecycle lists to anyone who asks about bikes - join your local list, ask for a bike and see what is offered. Or just get the digest list and see when bikes are offered.

        Please don't encourage the trade in stolen bikes at Brick Lane.

        journalist and science writer
        www.sedgemore.com

      • Robert Wills
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2011
          Yes BrickLane, GumTree and sometimes even Ebay are full of stolen bikes.

          The classifieds forum at lfgss is good:
          http://www.lfgss.com/forum6.html

          I suggest looking too at Vaidas Bicycles in Honour Oak.  He's got alot of old bikes that he
          builds back up into useful machines.

          -Rob

          On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Francis Sedgemore <francis@...> wrote:

[...]

        • ann ballard
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2011
            A girlfriend in Greenwich has a lovely Marin bike in very good condition that she wants to sell.
            Ann

            To: francis@...
            CC: greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com