London to Brighton

  • Tom Crispin
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2010

      7am start

      London to Brighton with the Veteran Cars

      Ride to Brighton with 500 cars built 1905 or earlier. The route is on
      the main road and much is marshalled with some sections closed to
      normal motor traffic.

      Meet 7am prompt in the Blackheath Station Car Park for a quick ride to
      Croydon where we shall converge with the Veteran Car Route.

      This ride is suitable for older children who are confident cyclists,
      can maintain about 15mph on flat roads and can cope with long hills.

      Bring snacks and plenty of them!

      Note that there are no direct trains from Brighton to London on
      Sunday. Instead we must change at Littlehampton or Ford. This
      increases the journey time considerably. (Last year we suffered the
      same problem, but it was the same train which took us from Brighton to
      Littlehampton that took us from Littlehampton to Victoria!)

      Train Times
      ========
      Depart Arrive* Duration Change
      16:47 19:02 2:15 Littlehampton
      17:17 19:46 2:29 Ford
      17:47 20:02 2:15 Littlehampton
      18:17 20:46 2:29 Ford
      18:47 21:02 2:15 Littlehampton
      19:17 21:46 2:29 Ford
      19:47 22:02 2:15 Littlehampton
      *Arrival at Victoria, East Croydon is 22 minutes earlier.

      Also note that at Littlehampton there is 10 minutes between arrival
      and departure times, but at Ford there is just 4 minutes. If a train
      is missed there will be a one hour wait for the next service.