The website's down folks.

  • TERESA GRIFFITH
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2 12:27 PM
      It appears to me that the web hosters (Heart) are not going to do anything about it.  I wouldn't mind betting that they have gone into receivership or gone bust.  I think we may need to get a new host pronto.

      Apologies

      Teri

    • Francis Sedgemore
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2 12:43 PM
        That would be a good idea.

        I wouldn't worry about Heart Internet going into receivership, and us losing control of the domain name greenwichcyclist.org.uk. Barry Mason is listed as the registrant, not the hosting company, so if the latter goes south, it is a relatively easy matter to switch the domain name to another web host's DNS (domain name server).

        If we are to continue running our own website, what is needed is a low-cost, no frills service provider, and preferably one using Unix/Linux-based servers, and which allows secure-shell logins, full PHP/MySQL functionality, and  mod_rewrite enabled on an Apache webserver. Just take my word for it that these technologies would make life relatively simply for whoever is responsible for managing the site.

        If, on the other hand, we switch to LCC, then all is needed is to switch the DNS, so that greenwichcyclists.org.uk points to www.lcc.orguk/greenwich (or whatever).

        Francis

        On 2 Sep 10, at 20:27, TERESA GRIFFITH wrote:

        It appears to me that the web hosters (Heart) are not going to do anything about it.  I wouldn't mind betting that they have gone into receivership or gone bust.  I think we may need to get a new host pronto.

        Apologies

        Teri

        journalist and science writer
        telephone: +44 7840 191336