RE: [greenwichcyclists] Dangerous new traffic light

  • Liz Delap
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010

      I use this junction reasonably frequently, though not at the moment as I have found it so frightening.

      In my opinion moving the stop line forward will not improve the situation.  Oncoming vehicles (including buses and other cyclists) seem to be unaware that traffic may be emerging from Deal’s gateway, as Roger suggests below.  This is probably exacerbated by the fact that it is often cyclists who are making this maneuver – we know that many accidents to cyclists occur because drivers do not see them.  That said, the amount of traffic taking this route from Deal’s gateway has probably increased since the site has been developed.

      I think the lights need to be re-phased (back to the former timing) to make the junction safe.

      Kind Regards

      Liz

      From: Roger Stocker <rgstocker@...>
      Date: 22 April 2010 23:22
      To: greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: Stephen Craven <stephen@...>, Liz Delap <liz.delap@...>, lewishamcyclists@yahoogroups.com

      Dear All,

      I emailed TfL about this junction. This is their reply:-

      "Dear Mr Stocker

      Thank you for your e-mail dated 16 April regarding the junction of the A2
      Blackheath Road and A206 Greenwich High Rd /Deals Gateway. I appreciate you
      taking the time to send us your comments to which I have been asked to
      respond.

      A modification of the signalised junction of A2 Deptford Bridge/Deal's
      Gateway/Blackheath Road/Greenwich High Road was commissioned on 12 January
      2010 to improve the operational performance of the junction by improving the
      right turn into Deal's Gateway. This project also included carriageway
      resurfacing to improve ride quality for all road users including cyclists,
      and the provision of cycle advanced stoplines on all approaches to the
      junction.

      Previously Deal's Gateway received its own separate stage for a relatively
      light overall flow. In order to introduce a more efficient signal layout at
      the junction, the stage for Deal's Gateway was combined with that from
      Greenwich High Road .

      Since the new signal layout was introduced we have observed difficulties for
      traffic and cyclists emerging from Deal's Gateway. It is not unusual for
      right turners to be opposed at signalised junctions and be obliged to give
      way to oncoming traffic. We have erected signs on the approaches in
      Greenwich High Road and Deal's Gateway to inform road users that the signal
      timings have changed which accord with the Regulations covering signs on the
      public highway. We have observed that traffic in Greenwich High Road is
      asserting itself over that from Deal's Gateway, and that some cyclists are
      using the yellow box marking as a give way line, but are not under signal
      control at this point.

      We are investigating a revision to the position of the stopline in Deal's
      Gateway to adjust this closer towards the junction whilst allowing vehicles
      to turn safely. In view of this, the ASL in Deals Gateway was not recently
      green surfaced, unlike the three other arms of the junction. Changes to
      signal timings have been considered however, investigations suggest these
      will detrimentally have an impact on the overall junction capacity.
      Equipment to improve detection of cyclists turning right into Deal's Gateway
      from Deptford Bridge has been ordered and is due to be installed shortly.

      Whilst the works were in the process of being constructed between August and
      December 2009, the cycle track through Brookmill Park into Deal's Gateway
      was fully closed for use as a contractor storage area, and cyclists were
      required to divert via the existing Toucan crossing in Deptford Bridge
      outside Lewisham College , before using the A2 eastbound and making a left
      turn into Greenwich High Road. In the event that cyclists do not feel
      confident to cross the junction directly, we would suggest this alternative
      route that involves a short detour be used until further measures can be
      introduced.

      Once again, thank you for taking the time to raise this enquiry with us and
      I do hope the above has helped in answering your questions. Should you
      require assistance with any further issues, please feel free to contact us
      again.

      Yours sincerely"

      Roger

      From: " Liz Delap " <liz.delap@...>
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9, 2011
        Dear All,

        It is obviously of great disappointment to Lewisham Cyclists that this potentially serious issue has not been addressed by TfL despite numerous emails between us over the last 6+ months. We have included many of the historic emails below for those new to the lists.

        I, personally, would like to see our Assembly Member asking the Mayor of London to justify the, what appears, to be a complete disregard of on mode of transport safety at this junction despite admitting that there are problems following this redesign. Lewisham Cyclists will also be raising this with the cabinet member responsible for transport in Lewisham and hope that our colleagues in Greenwich do similar.

        Any other thoughts welcomed.

        Regards

        Roger Stocker
        Chair, Lewisham Cyclists