Dennis Severs House - Sunday 28 June - Ride Report

  • Ellis, Sarah
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2009
      Dennis Severs House - Sunday 28 June - Ride Report

      Three regulars at a hot, humid and busy Cutty Sark Gardens.  The south lift of the foot was closed (182 times) so we carried our bikes downstairs.  On to the Cable Street state-of-the-art cycle path where we made a few stops to look at various interesting places.  The first was the Cable Street Community Allotments where a couple of people were working away at their plots in the heat.  The apple trees seemed very advanced for the time of year and we were interested in the half-a-boat seat and the dividing line between two plots made up of old bicycle wheels.  A couple of blue plaques and on to the Battle of Cable Street Mural at the entrance to St George's Gardens.  We looked in the church but couldn't enter as Sunday Eucharist was still taking place.  The interior of the church is such a surprise, which I won't spoil for you, so you'll have to go and have a look yourself.  From there we turned north then west and made our way to the Brick Lane Hot Beigal Shop for a quick, early lunch.  Two thought the snack good value but one bought a bagel which he didn't enjoy greatly and then left us to go to St Pancras - although I'm not sure the two are connected.  A short queue greeted us at Dennis Severs House but there was room for all inside this dark and gloomy but fascinating time capsule.  A quick drink in the sunshine of a busy Spital Square before a jaunt home down Bishopsgate, over London Bridge and along the south of the river, arriving back at Greenwich at about 2.15 pm.

      This email was sent by a company owned by Pearson plc, registered office at 80 Strand, London WC2R 0RL.
      Registered in England and Wales with company number 53723