Cycles Uk publicity - The latest sight on the streets of Greenwich - a Wasp on a bike!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2009

    From: Mark Almond [mailto:mark@...]
    Sent: 28 May 2009 13:05
    To: 'Mark Almond'
    Subject: The latest sight on the streets of Greenwich - a Wasp on a bike!

    HEARD THE ONE ABOUT THE WASP RIDING A BIKE?

    No?

    Well, on Thursday that was the exact sight you would have seen if you were in the Greenwich area of London .

    London Wasps and England rugby stars Tom Rees and Joe Simpson were in the area to collect their new bikes from the newly opened Cycles UK shop in Creek Road , Greenwich and they were keen to try them out straight away.

    ‘’It’s been a while since I last rode a bike on a regular basis’’ said Tom Rees

    ‘’But living close to the training ground is a great incentive for me to leave the car at home and get on my bike every day’’ the Wasps and England flanker added.

    ‘’Training and playing rugby at Premiership and International level can take its toll on the body. Being able to warm up and cool down on my bike before and after each training session will be a great way to help me stay fit and mentally focussed’’

    Wasps and England Saxons scrum-half Joe Simpson shares his team mate’s thoughts and is also looking forward to introducing cycling into his daily routine.

    ‘’Fighting through the traffic in my car everyday to get to training does become a little tiring to be honest’’ he said

    ‘’Being able to hop on my bike and to arrive at training refreshed and ready to go is a huge bonus for me. It’s a lot greener too’’ he added.

    The Marin bikes were personally fitted to each of the two players by the Cycles UK Greenwich shop manager, Brent Smith.

    ‘’Making sure that the bike fits perfectly is an important part of ensuring trouble free ownership and a pleasant riding experience’’ says Brent

    ‘’As professional sportsmen, Tom and Joe are looking to ensure they stay as healthy and as injury free as possible. Making sure their bike fits them correctly is an essential part of this and we strongly recommend it to all our customers’’ he concludes.

    ‘’You can certainly tell the difference between a professionally fitted bike and the one my dad set up for me when I was a kid’’ said Tom

    ‘’In fact, just wait until I see him’’ he joked ‘’I’ll have him for all those uncomfortable bike rides years ago when my feet couldn’t reach the floor and stopping meant falling off!’’

    For more information on how a personally fitted bike could transform your riding or to find a new bike to help you beat the traffic and stay fit and healthy, contact Cycles UK’s Greenwich store by calling 020 8692 3148, call in at 135 Creek Road Greenwich or visit www.cyclesuk.com

    *ENDS*

    Notes to Editors:

    Cycles UK Limited have opened their new Greenwich store at 135 Creek Road, Greenwich, London, SE8 3BU and stock bikes from Specialized, Trek, Marin, Wilier, Cube and Pashley as well as a wide  range of kids bikes, clothing and accessories. The shop also offers full workshop facilities, courtesy bikes available for repairs, a dedicated ladies section and is an authorised BG Cycle Fit centre. More information on Cycles UK can be found at www.cyclesuk.com or by emailing Alan Gifford, Director at alan@....

    Tom Rees is no stranger to facing the best of rugby competition, having represented England at U16, U18, U19, and U21 levels as well as captaining the U21 side in the Six Nations Cup in 2005, before establishing himself on the senior international stage in 2007.

    Rees secured his first cap against France in the 2007 Six Nations, picking up Man of the Match in the process and at just 23 then received the nod to travel with Brian Ashton's 2007 England World Cup squad.

    He continued with his impressive list of international call ups with a place in the 2008 Six Nations squad, however a torn medial collateral ligament in his left knee ruled him out of the tournament after only 15 minutes of game time. Returning to full health as part of the London Wasps outfit that secured the Guinness Premiership title later that season however, the Wasps flanker added to an already impressive club honours list and collection of silverware, which had been bolstered the previous season with victory over Leicester in the Heineken Cup Final.

    Success with Wasps is something the 24 year old has enjoyed and worked hard to secure since his arrival - making his debut for the club against Bristol in 2003 - the season that went on to see the men in black and gold collect both the domestic and European title. Still a member of the Academy set up, he burst onto rugby's radar the following season, scoring two tries during his eleven appearances with the 1st XV and giving a Man of the Match performance against Leeds . His success earned him a first team contract and in 2005/06 Tom made his intentions clear starting the season with another Man of the Match performance against Leicester Tigers.

    Unfortunately, injury was becoming a feature of his career, and it was two months before he got his next 1XV start. He marked it with another Man of the Match winning turn, but the rest of the season became a fragmented affair due to a frustrating series of injury problems. However shaking the injury curse in 2006/07 he racked up an impressive 25 appearances and the title of champions of Europe . He followed a strong season with a place in the Rugby World Cup in 2007 where he started against France in Marseille in the final 2007 RWC warm-up match and scored a try in an impressive individual display in England 's opening tournament match against USA .

    Back on club duty in 2007/08 Tom was a consistent performer with the club, but injury during the 2008 Six Nations left him sidelined for much of the competition. Hard work and dedication – so intrinsically linked to the man in both club and international colours – saw him bounce back in time to collect a Guinness Premiership title as well as a place on the England tour to New Zealand , as first choice open-side flanker a trend which continued for the first three Investec Challenge tests in November.

    Injury again hampered his place in the 2009 Six Nations, but he made a welcome return to club duty at the end of the season – driving his side to victory on home turf in the last run of 2008/09. Named as part of the England Summer Tour squad who will face Argentina , he is back and ready to represent his country. A player who commands respect and admiration form all his peers and epitomises the values of the great game.

    Joe Simpson is a true cosmopolitan, having been born in Sydney , Australia to a mother from New Zealand and father from England .

    After joining the Wasps Academy full time from St Benedict's school in the summer of 2006, he went on to play in two Under 19 World Championships  before adding England 7s honours to his accolades, playing in both the Dubai and George legs of the 2007 IRB Sevens World Series.  Last season he starred for England U20s, whom he helped to reach the final of the 2008 IRB Junior World Championship, earning himself a place on the shortlist for the IRB World Junior Player award in the process.

    Award nominations have not been lacking this season either as Joe made a real mark on the senior domestic stage making 14 appearances, scoring 4 tries – two of which earned him a spot on the nominees list for the Guinness Premiership Try of the Season and the Sunday Times Try of the Season.

    Just missing out on the gongs, he did collect a deserved award with a two year senior contract with Wasps, graduating the Academy and following in the footsteps of the likes of England and Wasps Paul Sackey, Tom Rees, Danny Cipriani and Dominic Waldouck.

    Ahead of the 2009/10 season, Joe has received a call up to the England Saxon’s squad who will compete for the Churchill Cup in Denver this summer. Certainly a star of the future both in the Premiership and the international realms, Joe’s pace means he is an attacking threat around the base of the scrum and his bravery in defence and tactical kicking mark him out as a rare talent.

    Away from rugby he enjoys comedy and lists his favourite actor is Ricky Gervaise. Post rugby he also has ambitions to go into business, having studied at the London School of Economics.

    Mark Almond

    Freelance Marketing, PR & Events Consultant

    Telephone: 01767 692831

    Mobile : 07739 302698

    Visit us at www.redcloudmc.com

    128_RedCloudMC-Log5

    Member of the Federation of Small Businesses