Salisbury Camping Week

  • Ian Pendleton
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18 2:18 AM

      If you haven't heard Bromley, Lewisham, Greenwich, and Southwark Cyclists are going camping for a week to Salisbury from May 27th to June 2nd. Here's how the week is shaping up.

       More details here.

      If anyone is coming down for the weekend, if possible please let us know before May 27th ( I expect our mobile phone batteries to be dead by Friday).

      Contact
      Ian Pendleton - 09534 935 633
      Andrew Fergar - 07717 693 701

      Day 1 Wednesday 27th May

      Arrive in Salisbury, pitch tent settle in.

      For any one that's ready to go by 3pm there's a short ride to take in the Avon Valley, Wliton and Amesbury, the two towns closest to Salisbury.

      24.3 miles
      1388 feet of climbing

      Day 2 Thursday 28th May

      The Nadder Valley
      The Nadder Valley

      From the campsite we head into the centre of Salisbury and then head along the River Nadder, the river is the spine of this ride, into Wilton. Out of Wilton and it's up to the byway that runs for 8 miles along the ridge formed by Compton, Favant, Sutton and Swallowcliffe Downs. From Swallowcliffe Downs we descend through Ansty and then divert to Castle Ditches Fort. From Castle Ditches we may backtrack a little and go west to the ruins of Wardour Castle before heading into Tisbury. From Tisbury it's north to Fonthill Bishop and then we head back to the foot of the valley descending through Chilmark. We remain in the well of the valley to head back to Salisbury touching on the villages of Dinton, Barford St. Martin and Burcombe.

      40-45 miles
      2341 feet of climbing

      Day 3 Friday 29th May

      Mottisfont Priory

      This ride heads directly east shadowing the Monarch's Way to the RiverTest. Then it's south to Mottisfont Priory at the confluence of the Test and River Dun. We then go east through East and West Dean along the River Dun back to Alderbury and Salisbury.

      31.4 miles
      2011 feet of climbing

      Day 4 Saturday 30th May

      Salisbury Plains

      This ride will leave Salisbury Station at 10:00. Anyone wanting to come down from London for the Day will need to catch the 08:20 from Waterloo to make it in time for the ride.

      This ride heads west to Wilton and along the Wyle valley before heading north and up onto Salisbury Plains through Chitterne to Tilshead over to Larkshill and then down to Stonehenge. We'll ride into Amesbury and then head south down the Avon Valley back to Salisbury.

      41.6 miles
      2116 feet of climbing

      Day 5 Sunday 31st May

      Westbury and The White Horse

      This ride will leave Salisbury Station at 10:00. Anyone wanting to come down from London for the Day will need to catch the 07:42 from Waterloo to make it in time for the ride.

      The ride goes out from Salisbury to Wilton and then heads west along the Wylye Valley to Warminster and Westbury. At Westbury we'll climb up onto Salisbury Plains to get a close look at the White Horse before descending through Bratton and looping back to Westbury.

      It's a possible train back to Salisbury from Westbury. We may even get the train out from Salisbury to Westbury - doing it this way will make the ride nearly all downhill.

      36 miles
      1732 feet of climbing

      Day 6 Monday 1st June

      The Avon Valley