Speed limit in Greenwich Park

  • Navin Tharan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 15, 2009
      New to the group, so hi all. Cycled into work today for the first time
      since moving into the area. Finally, a 'decent' 9 mile commute. My
      route takes me through Greenwich Park and one tends to build up some
      speed coming down The Avenue.

      Does anyone know if there is a speed limit in the park?

      Wouldn't want to surprise OH with a speeding ticket.

      Thanks!

      Navin
    • Liz Delap
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 15, 2009
      • Stephen Craven
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 15, 2009
          Navin

          The speed limit on the main road through from the Blackheath gate down to
          the King William Walk gate is 30mph. because of a fatal incident in 2007 we
          are pressing for it to be reduced to 20mph like other local roads, but it's
          30 for now.

          Stephen

          [edit: I see that Liz has already said much the same]

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 31, 2011
            It seems that pedal bicycles are no longer subject to speed
            restrictions in the Royal Parks:

            =====Quote=====
            “vehicle” means a mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted
            for use on a road.
            =====/Quote=====
            http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/1194/made

            Whilst a bicycle is propelled by mechanics, it does not fall under the
            definition of a mechanically propelled vehicle: they are powered by
            steam, electricity, petrol/diesel engine etc.
          • Francis Sedgemore
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 31, 2011
              A pedantically-minded physicist writes...

              Don't count on it, Tom. The definition could easily be interpreted as including pedal cycles, owing to their being propelled by mechanical power transference through feet engaging with pedals. If the drafters of that legislation were referring only to motor vehicles, they would have said so explicitly.

              Bicycles are road vehicles, and cyclists who hurtle down The Avenue at speeds in excess of 30 km/h deserve shooting, just as do drivers of motor vehicles who behave in a similarly irresponsible manner.

              Francis

              On 31 Oct 11, at 20:05, Tom Crispin wrote:

              It seems that pedal bicycles are no longer subject to speed
              restrictions in the Royal Parks:

              =====Quote=====
              “vehicle” means a mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted
              for use on a road.
              =====/Quote=====
              http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/1194/made

              Whilst a bicycle is propelled by mechanics, it does not fall under the
              definition of a mechanically propelled vehicle: they are powered by
              steam, electricity, petrol/diesel engine etc.

              journalist and science writer

            • John Hearns
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2011
                On 31 October 2011 20:05, Tom Crispin <tom@...> wrote:

                Whilst a bicycle is propelled by mechanics, it does not fall under the
                definition of a mechanically propelled vehicle: they are powered by
                steam, electricity, petrol/diesel engine etc.

                Not so. Bicycles are well know to be powered by cake.

              • Francis Sedgemore

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 19, 2013
                      While I feel that it is good practice for cyclists to respect speed
                      limits, I had always understood that speed limits do not apply to
                      cyclists anywhere except the Royal Parks. However, I note that the
                      March 2010 Park regulations redefine vehicle to be "a mechanically
                      propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on a road" and that a
                      bicycle is a human propelled vehicle.

                      Does that mean that cyclists cannot be issued with a fixed penalty
                      notice or prosecuted for cycling at over 20mph in Greenwich Park?

                      http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/1194/pdfs/uksi_20101194_en.pdf