[Fwd: 2512 and yesterdays news]

  • Barry Mason
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2008
      Info.

      Barry

      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: 2512 and yesterdays news
      Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 10:34:14 +0000
      From: Barry Mason <barrymasonuk@...>
      To: Southwark Cyclists <southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com>

      25 December and 20 of us at Cutty Sark Gardens another 45 or so at
      Southwark Needle. Lovely cheerful mix. South bank through Battersea
      Park, long pause at the very comfortable Duke's Head on Putney
      riverside. Over Putney Bridge and Chelsea riverside to Sloane Square,
      Hyde Park and 28 lunched in the reliable Edgware Road cafe for lunch at
      2.30pm. Six of us got to London Bridge. Some pubbed, we went home. Fine day.

      No one at Southwark Needle 9am yesterday. Spotted new cycle parking sign
      on the Weston Street/Tooley junction. No opening date even yet.
      Riverroute east. Bad fire has done a lot of damage to the top floor of
      the lovely converted warehouse Danish timeshares on Randall's Rent
      behind the Ship and Handbag. The police tape sealing off the gunnell at
      9.20am had gone by 3pm.

      At last the steps that take you from the Thames Path into Pepys Park
      have reopened. There's a wheeling ramp on the left-hand downside.
      A right-hand twin would have been good.

      Then 9 of us at Cutty Sark Gardens. And noticed a helipad has suddenly
      appeared just inside the CO2's riverside fence....for Sir Elton John's
      landing for his New Year's Eve concert. Pathetic. I've just phoned the
      duty planner at Greenwich Council to ensure the pad has planning
      permission...but Peggy Middleton House is powercut dark. Try later.

      Bad research on my part got us to the closed Mudchute Kitchen but The
      Waterman's Arms £6.50 Sunday roast was fine in their Victorian
      elaborata. Bikes in the secure garden.

      Tower Bridge and 6 of us to the Dog and Bell.

      On riverside way to Rainham Marshes Saturday....path closure signs
      before Tilda Rice have been there months so yet again we ignored
      them....they've reinforced the closure so you can no longer just duck
      under the scaffoldtubes....climbing round the end of the two barriers is
      easy. This work has taken far too long. Here:
      http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idmap.srf?X=551680&Y=179445&A=Y&Z=120

      RSPB reserve have another 500 metres of boardwalk. We sat in a hide for
      30 minutes watching 3 gorgeous snipe 10 metres away.

      Below is a nice 21/12 thank you.

      Away for a few days now but will do something on 10 January and the DLR
      Woolwich opening.