Greenwich Park - Maze Hill gate

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
      I came through here this morning and found that within the last 24
      hours the existing nominal barriers have been replaced by the 'large
      kissing gate' type as found on the Thames Path and elsewhere - but
      without the 'wheel a bike through the narrow gap' bypass arrangement
      often incorporated. I didn't have my camera with me but will take a
      picture at the weekend and post it.

      Was this mentioned at any of the discussions with the park manager? I
      don't have any problem with enforcing the "no cycling through the gate"
      rule, but the type of gate installed is only just big enough to get a
      small adult bike through without upending it. A tandem or bike with
      kiddie trailer woudl be impossible. It will also likely cause a queue
      in the rush hour when there are lots of pedestrians and cyclists going
      both ways!

      Stephen
    • Andrew Beswetherick
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
        It is interesting that Greenwich Park's visible response so far to the sad death of a cyclist last year is to restrict the access cycles have to the park. I will not be able to get my tandem through the gate and am sure it will be difficult for parents/ carers with buggies especially double ones. Is the idea to put off cyclists rather than restrict the speed/ access of cars?

        Andrew

        To: greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com
        From: stephen@...
        Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 15:29:26 +0000
        Subject: [greenwichcyclists] Greenwich Park - Maze Hill gate

        I came through here this morning and found that within the last 24
        hours the existing nominal barriers have been replaced by the 'large
        kissing gate' type as found on the Thames Path and elsewhere - but
        without the 'wheel a bike through the narrow gap' bypass arrangement
        often incorporated. I didn't have my camera with me but will take a
        picture at the weekend and post it.

        Was this mentioned at any of the discussions with the park manager? I
        don't have any problem with enforcing the "no cycling through the gate"
        rule, but the type of gate installed is only just big enough to get a
        small adult bike through without upending it. A tandem or bike with
        kiddie trailer woudl be impossible. It will also likely cause a queue
        in the rush hour when there are lots of pedestrians and cyclists going
        both ways!

        Stephen

        Get Hotmail on your mobile from Vodafone Try it Now
      • Stephen Craven
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5, 2008
          As promised yesterday I have taken some photos which you can find at
          http://www.cig.canon-europe.com/a?i=7pkaLVDpp7

          Most of the users I talked to today - cyclists, mothers with buggies and
          other pedestrians - agreed that the 'no cycling through the gate' rule is a
          good one and that the new barrier will help achieve that. But all agreed
          that the design is an inappropriate one, which is difficult even for people
          with child buggies or ordinary bikes to get through. The park management
          need to be challenged on this. Could those on the list who have joined the
          park Friends advise whether the Friends were consulted on this new barrier?

          Stephen
        • Liz Delap
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 7, 2008
          • John Ball Cycling
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 7, 2008
              Hi All,

              I expect that the Vanbrugh Gate Monstrosity contravenes the Disability Discrimination Act 2005.

              Tom

              Friends of Greenwich park were not consulted on this either.

              The person I spoke to is also a cyclist and had not yet seen it .. He is going to have a look and will get back to me.

              I tried it myself and found it most awkward to negotiate, though both times a kind pedestrian held the gate for me.  They were not impressed with the design either.  Interesting to see how much of a jam it causes at peak times

              Liz