Cycle Training Forbidden in Greenwich Park

  • Eric Gauster
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2008
                Hi everyone,
      I'm afraid to say cycle training has been forbidden in Greenwich park outside cycle lanes and within cycle lanes only with permission.

      The reasons for this are that cycling is forbidden in the park other than roads and cycle lanes. It is forbidden on the wide paths and in the car park areas which cycling instructors have previously used.

      Given that cycle lanes are not really suitable for Complete Beginners or Level 1 National Standards cycle training we haven't applied for permission to train on the cycle lanes. We were also given the impression that such an application would not be successful.

      We'd be interested in your comments regarding this and also those of you with a good local knowledge let me know of any other suitable locations.

      Having done countless lessons in the park myself, weekends can be busy and we try to avoid lessons then anyhow, but during the week and in winter months the place is virtually deserted.

      Cheers

      Eric

      Eric Gauster
      Head of Marketing

      Cycle Training Uk Ltd
      Unit 215, Building J
      100 Clements Road
      London, SE16 4DG

      Direct Line: 020 7232 4387
      Switchboard: 020 7231 6005

      www.cycletraining.co.uk

      CTUK is a not-for-profit workers' co-operative promoting cycling for all. Registered in England and Wales (number 4369994).

      Winner of the National Transport Award 2005 for Business Contribution to Sustainable Transport
      .

    • Barry Mason
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2008
        You need to work very closely with Greenwich Cyclists on this and put
        effort into overturning the ban - and not simply going elsewhere. I've
        put you in direct touch with Anthony and Liz. Talk to and join the
        Friends of Greenwich Park and go through them too.

        GC already making good progress with the Royal Parks team on road safety
        in the park and bringing the 30mph speed limit down to the 20mph of the
        surrounding roads. That issue was of course highlighted last year when
        an overtaking car going down The Avenue hit a cyclist and killed him.

        It's quite ludicrous that this oasis of higher speeds now bans cycle
        training.