[Fwd: Yesterday/Wednesday Safety morning/Thursday Afterworker]

  • Barry Mason
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2008

      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: Yesterday/Wednesday Safety morning/Thursday Afterworker
      Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:00:27 +0100
      From: Barry Mason <barrymasonuk@...>
      To: Southwark Cyclists <southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com>

      Eight of us eventually yesterday. The Darenth Vally Path east of that
      river is deep Dartford Marshes and we got lots of mud in places. I'd
      cleaned my bike really well the day before. Drop for each link etc. New
      top of the range Conti Top Contact tyres too (free inner tubes,
      guaranteed for a year). Past the power station on the riverside

      and under the QE2 bridge and 800 metres further than we wanted. No way
      through new factory etc fencing.
      Going inland before that power station gets onto the roads earlier.
      But soon onto new roads and back to the M25 bridge. There's a new bus
      east-west bridge under here too we should try. It took about an hour for
      the crossing patrol staff to ferry us under the tunnel in pairs. Their
      trailer's lights have packed up.

      Took a while to find a way onto the west-bound Thames path on the north
      side but after some probing a helpful guy in one of the concrete works
      unlocked their jetty gate onto the path almost under the M25 bridge.
      I'd forgotten how long these hidden path stretches are . (And sorry
      that the graffiti walls are 2 miles east of here nearer Grays. My mistake).

      Then Purleet village and very late lunch - it was 3.40pm. But the RSPB
      centre had stopped doing food. We backed up a bit to the huge riverside
      Royal Hotel pub that does food all day. Two lunches for £10. Very ok.

      Then the big A13 bike lanes back to Island Gardens and the Greenwich
      Foot Tunnel. Still light at 7.30pm.

      I stopped at a Creek Road garage and treated my claycaked bike to a
      £2.50 soapy jetwash. Squeaky clean again.

      A must longer day than expected - and the first sunblock of the year
      sighted - but that's why the clocks went back. Someone had clocked 48

      Wednesday 2 April: 7am-12 noon. Southwark Council safety morning for
      HGVs and bicycles. Go see/help. St Georges Road by the Elephant
      roundabout. Do drop by. I'll be there at 8am.

      Thursday: 6.30pm Southwark Needle: Canal loop and back to start.
      Monday 7 April: Southwark Road Tunnel centenary planning meeting.
      Details firming.
      Tuesday 8 April: our unmissable GLA Hustings with Lambeth Cylcists and
      our local candidates.
      9 April: our monthly meeting
      10 April: Big Cat Afterworker