South London ride, Saturday

  • Liz Delap
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2 4:22 AM

      Twelve of us rode at a leisurely pace in South London on Saturday.  It was warm enough to sit outside on our various stops for refreshment, in spite of the strong wind.

      We passed through Sutcliffe Park, where the river Quaggy can be shut off to overspill it’s gentle meander and rich wetland, keeping Lewisham dry if floods threaten.  Then into Avery Hill Park to look at the 16th Century Well which supplied Eltham Palace, the impressive Winter Gardens in their sadly neglected glasshouse and our first refreshment stop in the park cafe.  We continued southward and then west to Chislehust where we lunched outside a pub.  Then northward towards Mottingham, with enough hills to make us feel exercised, and back to Eltham and Greenwich.  Various people peeled off early, leaving the last three to enjoy tea in Greenwich Park.

      22 miles in all.

      Liz

    • henrietta henry
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2 3:54 PM
        Hello Group,
        I was wondering what advice i could get from the group regarding riding;
        I started learning to ride recently and i truly want to ride on the road, but how do i make other road users know that am a learner on my bike like the L plate for cars. I don't want them using their horns and scaring me off my bike as i had already had a minor bike accident learning to ride in December. Am an adult (28 - 32) and a lot of people assume you should know to ride bike by now, am just starting and i truly want to build my confident on and off the road so i need all the advice i can get.

        Thanks
        IKgirl

      • Liz Delap
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3 1:28 AM
        • Kerry Nice
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3 4:12 AM
            Unless the honking sounds homicidal, I don't worry so much about that.
            If they are honking at you, they see you. It is the ones who don't see
            me that I really worry about. Get used to getting honked at, generally
            you are not doing anything wrong. Some people don't think you should be
            on the road at all and you will get a certain amount of abuse directed
            at you for inconveniencing them.

            It does sound like a few cycle lessons would be good for your
            confidence. Try CTUK. Or various councils around London subsidize
            cycle training for people who live or work there. Try contacting them.

            Kerry.