Re: London freewheel

  • johnballcycling
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 15, 2007

      The route has been shortened to 7½ miles.  Tooley Street has been cut entirely from the circuit, follow Hovis to see the original and cut section.

      Nevertheless, I think that it will be a superb event and I hope to take up to 30 children, using a relaxed route along the Thames Cycle Path, joining the Freewheel at the south end of London Bridge, if that is allowed, or continuing to Southwalk Bridge if not.

      Tom

      > This sounds very enjoyable.
      >
      > 9 miles of closed roads and 30,000 cyclists.
      >
      > This works out at 2 cycles per yard of road.
      >
      > Regards David.

    • ray
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 16, 2007
        We in Bexley were discussing this the other night and wanted
        to join up with Greenwich for this ride. The route described
        below is what we would prefer.

        If someone can give us the meeting time and place (I assume
        Cutty Sark Gardens)then we will plan our ride to join you
        folks.

        > The route has been shortened to 7½ miles. Tooley Street
        > has been cut entirely from the circuit, follow Hovis
        > <http://www.johnballcycling.org.uk/misc/hovis> to see the
        > original and cut section.
        >
        > Nevertheless, I think that it will be a superb event and I
        > hope to take up to 30 children, using a relaxed route
        > along the Thames Cycle Path, joining the Freewheel at the
        > south end of London Bridge, if that is allowed, or
        > continuing to Southwalk Bridge if not.
        >
        > Tom
        >
        > > This sounds very enjoyable.
        > >
        > > 9 miles of closed roads and 30,000 cyclists.
        > >
        > > This works out at 2 cycles per yard of road.
        > >
        > > Regards David.

      • johnballcycling
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 17, 2007
          Ray,

          The route I'm considering is here (1.2 Mb jpeg):
          www.johnballcycling.org.uk/misc/blackheathtotower

          I have cycled a similar route before with children, and it is slow;
          it would probably take 1.5 times longer than the main road route.
          However, it is very pleasant and relaxed being either traffic free or
          low traffic volume.

          Note that from next year I am a cycling instructor at four primary
          schools on and around Blacheath, and would prefer the families to
          assemble on Blackheath near All Saints' Church. I don't know what
          LCC would make of us not using one of their hubs, but getting to
          Peckham Rye or Victoria Park not very convienient. I note that in
          the minutes of August's Greenwich Cyclists' meeting a similar point
          has been raised.

          Tom