TdF at Brenchley 8/7/07

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 2007

      This was a great day out John, thanks to you and other friends from West Kent CTC. You all persevered in the face of obstruction by the Southeastern railways and those of us who got through the net enjoyed a fabulous ride to and from Brenchley and a wonderful view of the race in a charming rural setting with great pub food, drink and hospitality.

      You all made it a day to remember.

      Please pass on our thanks to all ride leaders and arrangers,

      Anthony Austin, Coordinator, Greenwich Cyclists

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2007
        Anthony,
        Many thanks for your kind words.
        The organisers did a magnificent job and and the pub did us proud as well.
        We were quite concerned over the past few weeks that bike ban, access difficulties and poor weather may result in a low turnout. Martin counted over 450 people at the site and two-thirds were probably cyclists. The CTC's national director, Kevin Mayne was there for a few hours having cycled from Paddock Wood station on a folder!
        We would particularly like to thank everyone who made an effort to come from further afield because you also helped to make the day a great success. It's a pity that no images of the riders were broadcast as they

        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
      • Chris Le Breton
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 21, 2007

          We left CSG at 0940, and left the Thames , following the Waterlink Way .

           Only a little residual mud on the track in new Beckenham from Friday’s rain.  Through Beckenham, and out towards West Wickham , the hills of Keston gleaming in the distance  in the morning sunshine.    Gentle climb up to Keston church, along to Downe, and up the short burst up of the 1 in 4 towards Cudham church.  As we hit the brow of the north downs, looking out over Brasted Chart, the rain started.  A while later, with full rainwear on, the expected summer monsoon deluge ceased, and the sun came out, and shone out over Brasted Chart, and the weald. Hugging the scarp, the Pilgrims Way was empty.  Rejoining the A233 from Bromley, we hit traffic, and crossed over the M25 carpark, and into Westerham at 12.10, turning left by Wolfe’s statue to the Tudor Rose restaurant for lunch.

          The special today was homemade steak and ale pie.  An hour later, after more rain, we climbed up Hosey Hill, and then via Chartwell, and Hever, we doglegged up to SevenoaksWeald and down to Chiddingstone for perhaps the most generous cream tea I have come across in years.   Hurtled back to Markbeech to check out the Kentish Horse which offers real homemade (not Brake bros), local food (except the scampi) and good ales.  Pricier than the Tudor Rose, but worth watering there in future for the train which goes from Cowden Station 4 minutes pedalling.  We caught the train, diesel, single line, from Uckfield  from Cowden to London Bridge .  48 minutes.  £5.20 reduced single fare.

          60 miles, quite a few more hills than planned, but fabulous lush verdant scenery, and not many cars out either.   The perfect day to be out on the bike, and no torrential rains, monsoons, or steamy swamps as was forecast. What with delicious lunch, generous tea, and some good local ales, Wandsworth Cyclists have already expressed interest in doing a joint ride on Saturday 19 August, meeting up at Beckenham Junction, and heading down to Westerham, and a similar route thereon.

          Chris Le Breton

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.