Fwd: No Trident - Fish on Bicycles Bike Ride, Wed 14 March

  • Julian Dobson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2007

      From: "paula hollings" <paula.hollings@...>
      Date: 10 March 2007 16:30:55 GMT
      To: "lcc greenwich" <julian@...>, "lcc westminster"
      "lcc enfield" <r.reeve@...>, "lcc ealing"
      <david_lomas28@...>, "lcc croydon" <ruth@...>,
      "lcc city of london" <info@...>, "lcc camden"
      <jean@...>, "lcc bromley" <philiploy@...>, "lcc
      brent" <coordinator@...>, "lcc bexley"
      <f.renton@...>, "lcc barnet" <barnetlcc@...>, "lcc barking"
      <colin_newman@...>
      Subject: No Trident - Fish on Bicycles Bike Ride, Wed 14 March

      On Wednesday 14th March, MPs will vote on whether or not to replace
      Trident - Britain's nuclear weapons system. To ensure that calls to
      disarm are heard loud and clear, various actions are being planned for
      the day of the vote.

      These will include a "Fish on Bicycles mass ride" around central
      London. Inspired by Steve Bell's cartoon depicting Tony Blair calling
      for a replacement to Trident, next to a fish demanding a new bicycle,
      the cycle ride will demonstrate just how pointless and ridiculous the
      government's plans to build a new generation of nuclear weapons really
      are.

      Meet at 6.30pm under Waterloo Bridge on Trident Vote Day: Wednesday
      14th March. Bring anti-Trident messages, and dress as a fish or other
      non-cycling amphibian to highlight the pure stupidity of replacing
      Trident. There will also be specially-made "fish on bicyles" race cards
      displaying Steve Bell's excellent cartoon to be attached to the front
      of bicyles... so if you are unable - or unwilling - to dress as a fish,
      come along for the ride anyway and use the race card to show your
      support!

      For more information and details of the other actions taking place on
      the day of the vote, visit: www.tridentvoteday.org.uk
    • Christopher Le Breton
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2007
        This is a complicated issue ,... and arguably not really relevant to bicycles or this egroup.  .  But since it was sent out. I feel in the interests of balance and impartiality, I should respond to show that there are different views on this among cyclists.

        We had a very healthy debate on this at the Lib Dems conference in Harrogate. I voted for replacing trident, more fearful of the  consequences of unilaterailism, than the dangers of the weapons themselves. I argue that we should use the opportunity of strength to push for further multilateral disarmament to get rid of nuclear weapons in the world by 2060s.   I expect in the next week to get my speech on my website under bloglets if anybody is interested in another viewpoint on this.

        Have fun - fish on bikes - Dr Seuss?

        Chris
        in Belgrade at the moment.

        Begin forwarded message: