Naval College ban/this weekend/etc

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2001
      (I'm sending a seperate copy of this to Lewisham Cyclists in view of their
      interest in the RNC ban).

      Getting my years muddled.......DD2002 is number 10 and on 20/21 July to be
      near the full moon. In 2004, I think, there are two full moons in
      July.....so two DDs. And let's not forget the 2 Polish student tourists who
      did it too. And Man Birdi, the only person in the history of this wonderful
      world, we think, to do the Dynamo, buy fresh fish from the fisherfolk at
      Dunwich Beach...have them made even flatter by a 66 bus on Waterloo Bridge
      at 4.30pm when they fell out of his pannier on the way to the pub, and
      retrieve them.

      We've a few pedal July Pedal Powers left so a couple of us are going to
      leaflet the rush hour this Thursday from 7-9am. It's fun and useful. See you
      at the foot tunnel entrance at 7am or just before.

      Bit of a long shot because it's a working day and I'll be at Guildford
      counting lengths at the lido and soaking up music for the long weekend but a
      Greenwich council estate is having a "working together" day on Friday 3
      August and are desperate for the octopus that day. Anyone pick this up?

      This weekend:

      Friday 6pm on: private view at 18 Woolwich Road, the old cemetry gate house
      now studio of Fran Cottell of Southwark artists.
      Friday 7pm: meet CSG for ride to Woolwich ferry and over to North Barrier
      Park to see Waterwall from outside the wire. They might let us in.
      Sunday: 10am CSG, 11am NFT for the St Swithin's Day Wet One....slowly down
      the Thames to Barn Elms and the Wetland Trust bird reserve. Entrance fee.
      We'll be in there 2 hours while Roger takes the not so interested oones
      round Richmond Park. Lunch on way there. 30 miles round trip, or train it
      back.

      (Non-GC interlude.....some of us have got together to hire the octopus and
      take it to Critical Mass on Friday 27 July. Meet 5pm (sorry) at London
      Recumbents, Dulwich Park to be at NFT for 6. Let me know direct if you want
      to ride the beast, leave bikes there....we'll need a whip round to cover the
      £100 hire fee....and will collect at NFT too).

      Advice bit: several times recently we've found that people have bought
      not-fitting inner tubes with them. Check when you buy.

      Here's what I've just emailed to the Director of Greenwich Foundation,
      Frances Carnwath:

      I'm writing to you on behalf of Greenwich Cyclists, I'm Co-ordinator for
      that group. Here is a copy of our latest newsletter.
      Greenwich Cyclists is in regular touch with nearly 400 local cyclists, have
      90 on its email group and 25 regular attenders of our monthly meetings.
      www.greenwichcyclists.org.uk gets 60 hits a day, and rising.

      At our 4 July meeting, Greenwich Cyclists discussed the ban on cycling
      through the RNC site imposed by the Greenwich Foundation. I was asked to
      write to you and others.

      The current and arbitrary ban on cycling (and walking) both through and on
      the site seems unreasonable because:

      1. the alternative routes through Greenwich are either too narrow (the River
      Walk) or too busy (Romney Road) for many cyclists.

      2. it is the policy of both Government and Greenwich Council to increase the
      number of journeys made by bike.

      3. yours is part of a World Heritage site with glorious buildings that the
      public should be allowed to see, if only from the outside of each.

      4. the Ministry of Defence has left site, yet the security seems to live
      needlessly, expensively and illogically on.

      5. the increasing numbers of students on site should be encouraged to cycle.

      6. cars and lorries are allowed round the site, bikes are not.

      7. regular use of your West Gate by cars and other vehicles has made College
      Approach much more dangerous to cyclists heading east round the one-way
      system. Your vehicles regularly cut up such bikes. That hazard would be
      avoided if bikes could use College Way. I cycle that route every weekday
      morning.

      8. the current ban and security regime presents an uncompromising and
      unfriendly face to the world that sits uneasily with the status and
      wonderful new uses of the site.

      9. your unscripted gate staff site health and safety as the catch-all reason
      for the exclusion. This is laughable and unfair on them.

      10. Cutty Sark Gardens is the meeting point of 4 major UK cycling routes.

      11. it is easy simply to cycle straight through the site anyway.

      12. dropping is a quick win with no downside.

      13. The Greenwich Society, Greenwich Council, Sustrans, the Ramblers, the
      London Cycling Campaign and many other groups and most local people would
      love to see the ban lifted.

      So, why not simply drop the ban? Why continue it? Who wants to continue it
      and why?

      It would be helpful to have a list of your Trustees and their titles,
      addresses, phone numbers and email addresses.

      It would also be helpful to have those similar contact details for your
      masters in English Heritage.

      I very much look forward to hearing from you. Let's meet if need be.

      Best wishes.

      Barry Mason
      Co-Ordinator
      Greenwich Cyclists
      020 7232 0444
    • Man Birdi
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 10, 2001
        Lightly olive oiled, grilled lemon soul, with freshly
        squeezed lemon. Uuuuuummmmmmhhhhhh !
        Out of 5 fish, 2 remain. After tonight, there will be 0.

        They guy that was selling the fish, asked if I wanted to pay
        with beer or money. Unfortunately, I was about to board the
        coach so only had money to pay with.
        Next year I will be paying with Beer just to see what deal I
        can get !

        Thanks to Kevin Seddon for helping with my puncture (when I was
        panicing) and Denise, Stuart, Simon and rest of the recumbent cyclists
        that we joined up with.

        I will try to make a fresh batch of banana flapjacks for Friday night,
        but my local supplier is having trouble getting hold of bananas (£1 for
        a 3lb or 1.65kg from Wentworth Street Market) also having a bit of boozy
        night thursday, so don't hold your breath!

        See you Friday (will try to get there on time !!!!!!)

        Man'