RE: [greenwichcyclists] Close a Road in Your Local Area - Campaign

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
      Any roads as long as they are properly policed, unlike central Lewisham where
      drivers are routinely allowed to ignore the no car signs. Bromley is a much
      better model.

      Doug.

      1Mb Tiscali Broadband for £14.99.
      Offer ends 30th June 2005
      http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband
    • John Hearns
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
        On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 10:44 +0100, Julian Dobson wrote:

        > I have received this campaign proposal from James Caspell, Green Party
        > Group, for GC to nominate a road in Greenwich that could be
        > pedestrianised. If you can think of a suitable road, please send your
        > proposals to the group, and any proposals can be discussed at the next
        > meeting.
        The obvious one is to pedestrianise the street to the north of Greenwich
        Market, College Approach.

        Allow access to the Cutty Sark Gardens car park and the tourist
        office/Naval college still, but have those two access roads landscaped
        to be 'naked roads' something along the lines of Lower Ground on the
        South Bank - ie. no kerbs or pedestrian barriers, and also a 10mph speed
        limit. Fixed barrier in the middle of College Approach, so there is
        still access for deliveries to the market and to the pubs/restaurants
        but no-one is tempted to use the road as a shortcut.

        I really doubt this existing one way system has any good effect on
        traffic flows. If the traffic is backed up in Deptford or Surrey Quays
        then it is backed up - routing traffic round a one-way does no good.
        Returning Nelson Road to its 'natural' state as a two-way street will
        not make any difference to the time it takes to get across Greenwich in
        heavy traffic.

        Re. the buses which stop on King William Walk, I would move the bus
        stops. Have a line of bus stops outside the Cutty Sark DLR (opposite
        Flying Duck Enterprises) then on the other side of the centre in Romney
        Road.