Close a Road in Your Local Area - Campaign

  • Julian Dobson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2005
      I have received this campaign proposal from James Caspell, Green Party
      Group, for GC to nominate a road in Greenwich that could be
      pedestrianised. If you can think of a suitable road, please send your
      proposals to the group, and any proposals can be discussed at the next
      meeting.

    • Doug
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
        Any roads as long as they are properly policed, unlike central Lewisham where
        drivers are routinely allowed to ignore the no car signs. Bromley is a much
        better model.

        Doug.

        1Mb Tiscali Broadband for £14.99.
        Offer ends 30th June 2005
        http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband
      • John Hearns
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
          On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 10:44 +0100, Julian Dobson wrote:

          > I have received this campaign proposal from James Caspell, Green Party
          > Group, for GC to nominate a road in Greenwich that could be
          > pedestrianised. If you can think of a suitable road, please send your
          > proposals to the group, and any proposals can be discussed at the next
          > meeting.
          The obvious one is to pedestrianise the street to the north of Greenwich
          Market, College Approach.

          Allow access to the Cutty Sark Gardens car park and the tourist
          office/Naval college still, but have those two access roads landscaped
          to be 'naked roads' something along the lines of Lower Ground on the
          South Bank - ie. no kerbs or pedestrian barriers, and also a 10mph speed
          limit. Fixed barrier in the middle of College Approach, so there is
          still access for deliveries to the market and to the pubs/restaurants
          but no-one is tempted to use the road as a shortcut.

          I really doubt this existing one way system has any good effect on
          traffic flows. If the traffic is backed up in Deptford or Surrey Quays
          then it is backed up - routing traffic round a one-way does no good.
          Returning Nelson Road to its 'natural' state as a two-way street will
          not make any difference to the time it takes to get across Greenwich in
          heavy traffic.

          Re. the buses which stop on King William Walk, I would move the bus
          stops. Have a line of bus stops outside the Cutty Sark DLR (opposite
          Flying Duck Enterprises) then on the other side of the centre in Romney
          Road.