Lambeth Cyclists Ride: Sat 29th Jan

  • Philip Loy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2005
      Lambeth Cyclists Architecture Ride: Hawksmoor
      Saturday 29th January 2005

      Why not Join Lambeth Cyclists for its architecture ride, savouring
      the delights of Hawksmoor's work?

      http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=855

      Hawksmoor is probably much greater than he is given credit for, as
      he worked very closely with two contemporaries who got most of the
      glory - Vanbrugh and Wren.

      We will be looking at some of the monuments he is known to have left
      us with, starting with the western towers of Westminster Abbey and
      finishing at Greenwich, looking at the Royal Naval Hospital.

      On the way we will be looking at baroque wonders of church
      architecture including Christchurch Spitalfields (see below) and the
      church with the most original exterior in the City, St Mary
      Woolnoth. We hope to get into some of the buildings, also.

      MEET: 10.30am north side of Smith Square, Westminster SW1. Finish
      about 4pm. [see website for map link]

      We cycle at a steady pace, don't leave people behind, and enjoy
      lunch and tea stops!

      For more information, contact Janet Paske on:

      (mob) 07740 457 528
      email: lambeth_cyclists@...