Re: [greenwichcyclists] Urgent: Cycle helmets

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2000
      Good stuff Nick. Didn't take us long to get into politics and religion......

      Helmets must be left to personal choice. Holdsworths in Putney have
      somewhere a helmet I cracked wide open in a smash 10 years ago that I walked
      away from. We all have our anecdotes. Australia is right...you make helmets
      compulsory and more die from lack of exercise because they've not taken up

      In most accidents helmets are as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

      Pedestrians don't need to wear body armour.......but many cars do. Bull-bars
      are fashion accessories that ensure that cars kill at lower speed. Why
      should they be allowed? Why should some cyclists fell obliged to dress
      protectively in helmets?

      Safety needs to be built in to the infrastructure - into vehicles, into
      roads, into lower speeds and not just slapped on.