Re: London to Brighton

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 14 , May 25, 2004
      Just turn up and ride it anyway. If good weather's forecast start at 6 am or
      earlier -- the course is signposted the day before, so it's really easy to
      navigate.

      After breakfast on the beach in Brighton just turn round and ride back home at
      a nice easy pace, passing the growing multitude coming the other way.

      --- In greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com, "Ian, Paul & Andy" <
      comerfordboys@y...> wrote:
      > Hi All
      >
      > Unfortunately I missed out on the Heart Foundation London to Brighton
      > this year. If you know of anyone who has registered but cant attend,
      > please send me a email and I would be glad to take there place
      >
      > Thanks
    • jon taylor
      Message 2 of 14 , May 25, 2004
        Excuse the ignorance - can anyone tell me when it is?

        Paul
        jontaylor@...
      • charlesjanuk
        Message 3 of 14 , May 26, 2004
          Indeed, I've turned up on a couple of occasions. Just beware that
          you can't start at the official start (you have to join a litle way
          along the route), can't benefit from the mecahnical services (should
          you need them) nor the First Aid (but which First Aider would turn
          their back on anyone suffering?) and any (bike) recovery facilities
          provided thereafter and will not get your badge at the finish!
          After all that, hava a good ride.

          "From: "Richard" <richmarst@h...>
          Date: Wed May 26, 2004 12:49 am
          Subject: Re: London to Brighton

          comerfordboys@y...> wrote:
          > Hi All
          >
          > Unfortunately I missed out on the Heart Foundation London to
          Brighton
          > this year. If you know of anyone who has registered but cant
          attend,
          > please send me a email and I would be glad to take there place
          >
          > Thanks
        • bin man
          Message 4 of 14 , May 26, 2004
            --- In greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com, "charlesjanuk"
            <januarycharles@h...> wrote:
            > Indeed, I've turned up on a couple of occasions. Just beware that
            > you can't start at the official start

            They usually accept registrations on the day should you wish to avail
            yourself of these services.

            It is on Sunday June 20th btw

            best wishes
            james
          • Allen Kelly
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 7, 2004

              Hi all,

              I have a place on the London to Brighton, but also a knee injury that is getting worse not better... as a consequence I would like to offer up my place if anyone is interested? Please let me know. First come first served...

              Kelly

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 3, 2008
                Did other riders enjoy the London To Brighton as much as I did?

                Sorry I scampered back to London at Horley without much advance
                warning. It was a plan I had been THINKING about but had not
                formalised... Teri
              • paul taylor
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 3, 2008
                  Quoting teresa4547 <teresa.griffith@...>:

                  > Did other riders enjoy the London To Brighton as much as I did?
                  >
                  > Sorry I scampered back to London at Horley without much advance
                  > warning. It was a plan I had been THINKING about but had not
                  > formalised... Teri

                  Glad you enjoyed it Teri.

                  Lots of folk seemed to enjoy it - I even had my hand shaken by one happy rider as he reached Brighton Pier. We all
                  finished (between 18 and 20 of us) - contrary to some rumblings the ride was paced for all - faster and slower
                  groups met up at Ansty and again in front of Brighton Pier and then a bunch of us went and sat on the beach eating
                  fish and chips and having a beer/wine and natter.

                  More info and impressions of the ride here.

                  http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8300.0

                  Full report on this ride will be going out to the lists soon and will apear on Lewisham web site with some pics a
                  while after that.

                  This ride will take place next year - also with slower and faster rides - paced for all - Health warning: This ride
                  may contain cars. DATE FOR YOUR DIARY: November 1, 2009.

                  toot toot

                  Paul

                  --
                  Paul Taylor

                  Visit Pipex Business: The homepage for UK Small Businesses

                  Go to http://www.pipex.co.uk/business-services
                • Tom Crispin
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 2, 2010

                    7am start

                    London to Brighton with the Veteran Cars

                    Ride to Brighton with 500 cars built 1905 or earlier. The route is on
                    the main road and much is marshalled with some sections closed to
                    normal motor traffic.

                    Meet 7am prompt in the Blackheath Station Car Park for a quick ride to
                    Croydon where we shall converge with the Veteran Car Route.

                    This ride is suitable for older children who are confident cyclists,
                    can maintain about 15mph on flat roads and can cope with long hills.

                    Bring snacks and plenty of them!

                    Note that there are no direct trains from Brighton to London on
                    Sunday. Instead we must change at Littlehampton or Ford. This
                    increases the journey time considerably. (Last year we suffered the
                    same problem, but it was the same train which took us from Brighton to
                    Littlehampton that took us from Littlehampton to Victoria!)

                    Train Times
                    ========
                    Depart Arrive* Duration Change
                    16:47 19:02 2:15 Littlehampton
                    17:17 19:46 2:29 Ford
                    17:47 20:02 2:15 Littlehampton
                    18:17 20:46 2:29 Ford
                    18:47 21:02 2:15 Littlehampton
                    19:17 21:46 2:29 Ford
                    19:47 22:02 2:15 Littlehampton
                    *Arrival at Victoria, East Croydon is 22 minutes earlier.

                    Also note that at Littlehampton there is 10 minutes between arrival
                    and departure times, but at Ford there is just 4 minutes. If a train
                    is missed there will be a one hour wait for the next service.