press release

  • Liz Delap
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29 6:50 AM
      This press release sent to local papers.  I also sent 2 pics taken by Derek Mark, not included here
      Liz

      Greenwich Cyclists

      n e w s  r e l e a s e

      Date: 28/04/04       Release: immediate

      Cycle training for local school

      An exciting demonstration of BMX cycle stunts on mini ramps by Team Extreme riders took place at St.Thomas A Beckett primary school in Abbey Wood this week.  It was the launch of a programme of cycle training for all year five pupils.  Children will receive training in basic cycling and road skills from professional cycle trainers over the summer term.  This has been made possible by grants from the Key Fund at Partners in Time and a Neighbourhood Renewal Community Chest grant, which were awarded to Greenwich Cyclists to promote cycling.

      Hilary Samuels, Co-ordinator of Greenwich Cyclists, explained  ” The school is really keen for the project to go ahead.  There is a lot of enthusiasm from the kids and their parents as well as the teachers.  We hope the project will extend bike use, develop cycling and maintenance skills and encourage interest in cycling.  While most of the pupils will bring their own bikes, the funding will allow us to purchase some bikes, so that every child has a chance to take part.   We will also be making efforts to involve families with a programme of weekend rides around the neighbourhood for the children and families involved in the project.”

      Ends

      Notes to editor:

      The launch event took place on Tuesday 27th April

      Greenwich cyclists will fund the purchase of cycle helmets for any children who do not have one.

                   Greenwich cyclists organise regular rides which can be found on their website   at www.greenwichcyclists.org.uk