Join Jenny Jones at Waterloo roundabout 31/03/04

  • Hilary Samuels
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18 4:25 PM
      Building work for a bus station at Waterloo started last week. It has made a
      tricky roundabout even more hazardous.

      Southwark and Lambeth Cyclists have written to Deputy Mayor, Jenny Jones
      about this, she's heard their plea and has agreed to join them for a ride
      around the roundabout on Wednesday, 31 March at 08.30. She is also
      notifying the press - see the press release below.

      This is an excellent opportunity to show how many cyclists are affected by
      the works and are sufficiently concerned to turn up when invited to do so by
      someone influential who is championing our cause.

      This is one of the key points on my way to work but unfortunately I can't
      make this meet on 31st. If you cycle near Waterloo Bridge, particularly in
      rush hour, you'll know just how careful you have to be cycling around there.
      If you can be there on 31st March at 8.30 do go along.

      Press Release

      London Cyclists meet their Waterloo?
      Jenny Jones, Deputy Mayor of London and Green Party Assembly Member, will be
      meeting South East London cyclists at Waterloo roundabout to see for herself
      how the new layout affects cyclists. The layout of the roundabout and its
      approaches have been changed to give buses access to new parking bays in
      front of Waterloo Station and cyclists strongly feel that they have been
      left exposed to danger. Jenny, a cyclist herself, will be joining cyclists
      on Wednesday 31st March at 08.30 and negotiating the roundabout during rush
      hour traffic.
      Jenny said "When we design roads and roundabouts, we have to design them for
      the safety of all road users, and that includes cyclists & pedestrians. More
      and more people are cycling - we must make it easy & safe"
      Clare Neely from Lambeth Cyclists says: "Cyclists from the Lambeth and
      Southwark groups of the London Cycling Campaign are very disappointed that
      the lessons of Vauxhall Cross have not been learnt by TfL in the works to
      install improved facilities for buses at Waterloo Roundabout. Throughout the
      project TfL have ignored comments made by us on the proposals, exactly as
      happened at Vauxhall Cross. The works are now on site and an already
      dangerous junction has become even more hazardous for cyclists.
      "The Mayor's congestion charge has resulted in large numbers of Londoners
      getting out of their cars and switching to a healthy cycling alternative,
      this benefits all Lambeth and Southwark residents and we do not want any
      cyclists returning to their cars because cycling in London feels dangerous
      and unpleasant."

      ---