friday rides !

  • Liz Delap
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 3, 2004
         February 6th

      The Essex lanes ride which was rained off last year.  Meet CSG at 9.30 or Liverpool Street (under departures board) for 10.32 train to Hatfield Peverel.  Approx. 30 miles through villages south of Braintree, to include cycle friendly tea shop (I don’t think they do any hot food).  Return from Hatfield Peverel on 16.18 train.  Bring lights

      February 20th

      Waterlink way path along Ravensbourne river to Beckenham Place park, Crystal Palace Park, Dulwich Park and visit to the Picture Gallery.  Back to Greenwich through back streets via Honor Oak and Brockley.  Approx. 15 miles.  Meet CSG at 10.00am

      March 5th

      Kentish Weald ( some hills on this one ).  Meet London Bridge (outside WH Smith) 10.00am for 10.23 train to Sevenoaks.  Ride to Sevenoaks Weald, Chiddingstone, Penshurst, past Hildenborough, Shipbourne, Plaxtol, past Knole Park and back to Sevenoaks for 16.20 train (arr. London Bridge 16.53).  Approx. 33 miles almost completely on minor roads.

      March 19th

      Local ride, details lator

      Liz

      8691 2065

      Still no mobile phone

    • Liz Delap
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 18, 2004
           February 20th

        Waterlink way path along Ravensbourne river to Beckenham Place park, Crystal Palace Park, Dulwich Park and visit to the Picture Gallery.  Back to Greenwich through back streets via Honor Oak and Brockley.  Approx. 15 miles.  Meet CSG at 10.00am

         March 5th

        Kentish Weald ( some hills on this one ).  Meet London Bridge (outside WH Smith) 10.00am for 10.23 train to Sevenoaks.  Ride to Sevenoaks Weald, Chiddingstone, Penshurst, past Hildenborough, Shipbourne, Plaxtol, past Knole Park and back to Sevenoaks for 16.20 train (arr. London Bridge 16.53).  Approx. 33 miles almost completely on minor roads.

         March 19th

        Local ride, details lator

         (CSG = Cutty Sark Gardens, between the Cutty Sark and the foot tunnel entrance)

        Liz

         07963 761039

        8691 2065

      • Liz Delap
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2004

          March 5th

          Kentish Weald ( some hills on this one ).  Meet London Bridge (outside WH Smith) 10.00am for 10.23 train to Sevenoaks.  Ride to Sevenoaks Weald, Chiddingstone, Penshurst, past Hildenborough, Shipbourne, Plaxtol, past Knole Park and back to Sevenoaks for 16.20 train (arr. London Bridge 16.53).  Approx. 33 miles almost completely on minor roads.

          March19th

          The Lee valley towpath.  About 30 miles.  Meet CSG at 10.00am.  Foot tunnel to Isle of Dogs and roads to Limehouse cut.  Towpath, as far as possible along Lea valley through Hackney towards Enfield.  We’ll go as far as we can, depending on speed of group and path conditions.  If the weather has been wet we will probably be slower; expect some muddy bits, but road tyres should be OK.    I have applied for a group permit (against all the normal procedures and only being issued for a maximum of 6 cyclists).  You can apply for your own permit, which last indefinitely from www.britishwaterways.co.uk.  Search under cycling and there is an application form on line.  It would be better if people had their own permits in case we have more than 6 in the group

          April 2nd

          Hertfordshire lanes around Stevenage.  About 35 miles.  Meet 9.15 am at CSG for ride to Kings Cross or under departures board at Kings Cross for 10.36am train to Knebworth.  Return about  16.30pm.  This is an unfamiliar ride for me but it looks flattish and apparently follows small lanes in spite of its close proximity to Stevenage and Hitchin.

          CSG = Cutty Sark Garden.  We meet between the foot tunnel and the Cutty Sark.

          Liz

          8691 2065

          07963 761039

        • Liz Delap
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 8, 2004
            Five of us met up last friday, 2 new recruits from the website and 1 new one from a newsletter at Christchurch forum.  We trained it to Sevenoaks, where it was very misty.  We had a very enjoyable ride through tiny upy and downy lanes.  Pub stop for lunch and back towards Sevenoaks, with the sky almost blue in places.  Our website recruits had not ridden for many moons and took the chance of a short cut route back, while the rest carred on to make a longer upy and downy return.
            This was a good route and I shall certainly do it again.
            Liz
          • Liz Delap

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 21, 2004
                Only three of us braved the wind, rain and wind on friday for the Lee valley.  By the time we emerged from the foot tunnel there was a gleam of sun and the only serious rain was during our lunch stop.  It must have been one of the few days when the wind was behind all day, but only because we cheated a bit.

                It blew us all the way north to Enfield lock, and several bits of path were a pleasant surprise to me, with new surfaces replacing old gravel ones and the floating pontoon instead of crossing the A12.  Only Hackney marshes remains muddy and a bit slippery.

                Bacon rolls for elevenses in the cafe at Springfield park and lunch (all puddings for £1) in the pub at Enfield lock made welcome breaks.  Then the cheaty bit, a train back to Liverpool street (no trains from Enfield lock as overhead lines were down, but Turkey Road station is just near) and the wind behind us again from London bridge.  Training it back makes sense - next time we can ride out further north maybe.
                Liz