Co-op bagged

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2000
      6.32pm tonight........I was bombing along just got to Trafalgar Road loving the sun Camberwell-bound to talk to FOE group about Southwark Cyclists blah blah blah.

      Back wheel locked solid with no warning and I came crashing to an ungainly but upright unpainful halt. Bad.

      Hadn't seen plassy bag from Co-op blow into my rear mech, jammed it solid, ripped it off the frame. Unridable. Stuck. Pannier chocka with heavy MFC etc leaflets.

      Bike in black cab to Camberwell. Did talk. Not late.

      FOE folk didn't snigger......not great ad for biking.....

      No cabs in Camberwell after........phoned minbicab place.....got huge old estate. Abe from Ghana was brilliant...we laughed all the way to Bob's in Herne Hill where on Sunday I paid him not many lobsters for his nice Saracen.

      Abe and the 2 bikes laughed me home. I book him to drive me and bust bike to work tomorrow. Nice bike shop will fix it, won't you. Means I miss meeting at Sadlers Wells - really wanted to see the new building.

      Moral: if you don't properly explain to your recentlyserviced beautifullyrunning partner of 17 years that you've bought another to go touring on....

      .......it'll try and dump ya.

      shock takes time

    • Henrietta Englefield
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 13, 2000
        Hope Abe is coming on nest week's bike rides.
        Greg

        In message <010b01bfd4c2$d8ba5fa0$ca916fd4@oemcomputer>, masonb
        <masonb@...> writes

        --
        Henrietta Englefield
      • AndrewBMH@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 16, 2000
          Barry,

          Great condolences on your unfortunate incident wrapping your rear around a
          bag. I hope this never occurs again - certainly not in Greenwich. It was good
          to see you the other morning dedicatedly handing out leaflets on Deptford
          Bridge. I gave one to my boss and he was tempted by the Southwark breakfast
          but declined on account of not being able to rise early!

          Andrew Beswetherick
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 16, 2000
            We handed out 220 leaflets.......

            And a brand new cyclist I ran across the road to leaflet said to me "are you
            Barry.....I want to do the dawn ride......"....she was on a brand new bike
            on her first week of commuting. Fine.......