Re: [greenwichcyclists] Commuting from Greenwich

  • anthony.austin@reuters.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2004
      John,
      I'll be glad to accompany you if you want on my daily commute over part of your route.
      From Cutty Sark I take the main roads all the way up to and over Tower Bridge, not because they're beautiful, but much quicker than the river route. So that's Creek Road, Evelyn Street, Canada Water/Surrey Quays, Jamaica Road. The only detour is through Southwark Park to avoid the Rotherhithe Tunnel turn-off.
      Personally I would stay on the north side after Tower Bridge and barrel along the Embankment through Parliament Square as it's more interesting than the Elephant and Vauxhall which would be more direct.

      jajoyce69
      <jajoyce@btinter To: greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com
      net.com> cc:
      Subject: [greenwichcyclists] Commuting from Greenwich
      08/01/2004 10:40 Header: Internal Use Only

      Hello to you all. I am moving to Greenwich ( tunnel ave ) soon ( I
      hope ) and am thinking of commuting to Millbank ( near Tate ). I was
      wondering if anybody does similar journey and can give a bit of
      advice on routes ( ie to take and avoid ). I am not really clear by
      maps I have seen how much I can use the river paths, also it looks a
      bit longer but surely more pleasant.

      Any advice gratefully received

      Regards

      John

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      the views of Reuters Ltd.
    • Jim Cheetham
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2004
        On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 06:15, anthony.austin@... wrote:
        > John,
        > I'll be glad to accompany you if you want on my daily commute over part of your route.
        > >From Cutty Sark I take the main roads all the way up to and over Tower Bridge, not because they're beautiful, but much quicker than the river route. So that's Creek Road, Evelyn Street, Canada Water/Surrey Quays, Jamaica Road. The only detour is through Southwark Park to avoid the Rotherhithe Tunnel turn-off.
        > Personally I would stay on the north side after Tower Bridge and barrel along the Embankment through Parliament Square as it's more interesting than the Elephant and Vauxhall which would be more direct.

        I used to do Tunnel Av to the Embankment, but I can't say what the route
        would be like from there to Millbank. It might be better to go into
        Trafalgar Sq. rather than take the Embankment onto Westminster Bridge -
        Whitehall isn't too bad. On the return route however you get to go the
        long way around both Parliament Sq and Trafalgar Sq, which isn't fun
        unless you're in Critical Mass! Then it's excellent!

        I also used the main roads - there are plenty of bus lanes and I was
        happy to stay in the middle of them to keep cars away - only moving in
        for buses & taxis. I used to try the side roads, but there were too many
        crossing decisions to be made. Some people don't like the interruptions
        by traffic lights on the main roads, however (at which I always stop, if
        they're red. I'm a vehicle when I'm on the roads, so I have to obey the
        rules!)

        Out of Greenwich, up Creek Rd all the way to the Rotherhithe Tunnel
        roundabout, then left along Jamaica Rd.
        Under the railways via Druid St/St. Thomas St. (that's the way the
        one-way system flows) on rough road surfaces, with a long light wait at
        Bermondsey St.
        Over Borough High St onto Southwark St, which is generally a clear run.
        That's basically past the Tate Modern, so you can feel like you're
        almost at the old Tate!
        I then went over Blackfriars Bridge (get into the correct lane before
        going under the railway bridge at the end of Southwark St - there's a
        bike lane & ASL between the two traffic lanes at the lights), and exit
        left onto the Embankment - the shorter option would be to run down
        Stamford St onto the Imax/Waterloo Br roundabout, but I've never been
        happy with the way traffic barges heedlessly around that junction.

        However, you probably want to aim for Lambeth Bridge, and although I've
        never cycled that way, I did use to drive there/take the bus a fair bit.

        Going back the other way ...

        Lambeth Rd/St. Georges Circus/Borough Rd isn't too bad. I wouldn't
        recommend going via the Elephant & Castle, it's not as bad as the Imax,
        but I've not found the New Kent Rd to be particularly cycle friendly.
        Perhaps I just didn't learn the traffic flows around it properly ...

        Anyway, from Borough Rd, Long Lane seemed quite mellow. However, you
        can't get back onto Jamaica Rd easily, so down onto Grange Rd/Southwark
        Park Rd/Raymouth Rd will bring you back towards Evelyn St at Surrey
        Quays.

        As far as river routes are concerned, I generally didn't use them in the
        morning, because they were slower - but in the evening when I had more
        time to spend they were a pleasant diversion. Best way to learn those is
        with someone else - the names of streets and frequent let/rights make
        them difficult to describe in words.

        -jim

        BTW, I don't live there any more, so I can't provide practical
        assistance ... sorry ...
      • F.Renton
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 13, 2004
          Hello,

          Good luck with your commute ..

          I used to commute regularly to the City from Abbey Wood, I got fed up with
          the Evelyn Street Route as it had so much traffic and the there was a
          definite fug in the air. (At the time the A2 was up) I found coming down
          St. James Street, Canal Rd, Sandford Street, quicker and more pleasant.
          There is one awkward turn.

          Unfortunatly Sandford Stret has had cushions installed which makes this
          road a nightmare (the traffic is too dense for this type of traffic
          calming on this road), other cyclists I have spoken to have also
          complained,
          neither Lewisham say the road is not in their borough - maybe it is
          Southwark. They denied is was theirs as well. It won't be changed but it
          is a mistake that shouldn't be repeated. Woodpecker Rd is an
          alternative.
          However
          I then switched to travelling on the North side which was for me better.

          Knowing your route well helps you know which road postion to pick up, so
          on a new run it is worth doing it a couple of times when it is quiet.

          On the South side I often used to use Union Street, Bayliss Rd, Hercules
          Rd. On deciding a route I often used to try out the B roads which were
          usually fairly direct to see if they offered a viable alternative.

          Cyclists differ in their preference - some I know do use the route along
          the Thames even though they are commuting quite far. The route I used was
          still fairly fast, but that was about 8 years ago. The layouts could have
          been changed by now.

          Frances