Evelyn Street assault

  • anthony.austin@reuters.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
      Beware of youths attacking cyclists on Evelyn Street opposite Deptford Fire Station.
      I was assaulted by a gang of 4-5 hooded youths at about 9.30 pm Friday evening when returning eastbound from Critical Mass.
      The youths leapt out from the shadows into the road and whacked me with sticks. When I slowed down they jeered and threw stones.
      As I fumbled for my mobile, they attacked a second cyclist who wasn't wearing a helmet and struck his face.
      The gang then melted into an estate opposite the fire station.

      -------------------------------------------------------------- --

      the views of Reuters Ltd.
    • Kulasingam, Raj
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
        Yes do be careful - a friend of mine got whipped on one night and on another night they tried to throw a stick into his spokes - he has reported the whipping incident to the police but .... not sure there is a way around this other than being vigilant . maybe try and move to the middle of the road?

        Beware of youths attacking cyclists on Evelyn Street opposite Deptford Fire Station.
        I was assaulted by a gang of 4-5 hooded youths at about 9.30 pm Friday evening when returning eastbound from Critical Mass.
        The youths leapt out from the shadows into the road and whacked me with sticks. When I slowed down they jeered and threw stones.
        As I fumbled for my mobile, they attacked a second cyclist who wasn't wearing a helmet and struck his face.
        The gang then melted into an estate opposite the fire station.

        -------------------------------------------------------------- --

        the views of Reuters Ltd.

        This e-mail is from Denton Wilde Sapte. Our web site is at
        http://www.dentonwildesapte.com We are regulated by the Law Society. A list of our partners and their professional qualifications is open to inspection at our principal place of business which is at Five Chancery Lane, Clifford's Inn, London, EC4A 1BU, UK.
        Our central telephone number is (0)20 7242 1212.

        This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended only for the
        recipient(s) named above. It may contain confidential or privileged
        information and should not be read, copied or otherwise used by any other person. If you are not a named recipient, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail from your system.
      • Kulasingam, Raj
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
          Raj, can you send the following to the email list:

          "I suffered a similar attack at about 8pm last Thursday on the same stretch of road. A youth standing in the shadows whipped me across my back as I cycled past (I have a weild across my back to prove it!). I have reported it to Lewisham Police. About three weeks ago at the same spot a group threw a large lump of wood into my front wheel.

          I suggest that any other victims report this to Lewisham Police so that they take some action. The crime number for my incident is 3230399/03."

          thanks

          Chris