Tooley St/Shad Thames/Jamaica Rd

  • douglas.ellison@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 19, 2003
      Have any other cyclists going into the City via the new bus lane on the eastern stretch of Tooley St had any problems with the new traffic light layout at the junction of Shad Thames, Jamaica Rd & Tooley St?

      An unfortunate consequence of the road layout is that motorbikes are cutting around the right hand turn which meant to solely be for turning right into Shad Thames, and cutting across traffic moving from the second set of lights at that junction.

      I have had two near misses as I turn right onto the bus lane going along Tooley St and across Tower Bridge Rd as motorbikes career around illegally.

      Anyone having the same experience and wishing to complain, pls call:-

      Marguerite Gonzalez at TfL South on 020 7358 2600.

      Best regards

      Douglas

      A message from Councillor Douglas Ellison

      Home: 020 8853 1921
      Mobile: +44 7740 463191

      52 Beaconsfield Road
      London
      SE3 7LG

      www.elthamnorth.com
    • Sara Apps
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 19, 2003
        Yes, it is an issue - I have to turn very carefully up Tooley St - the
        way the road splits then joins up is quite unfortunate - fine if you are
        a taxi or a bus, not so good if you are a cyclist.

        There is another issue which is when you are going down Tooley Street in
        the other direction, the road which splits off for Queen Elizabeth
        Street (I think) is not properly marked and I am quite worried about
        getting cut across by a car or one of the many coaches that turns up
        that way.

        Does Marguerite have an email?

[...]

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Sara Apps
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 19, 2003
          I've made a complaint on behalf of Val Shawcross, London Assembly Member
          for Lambeth and Southwark, because I work for her, and she takes up
          loads of issues for cyclists. If you have cycling complaints,
          particularly in Lambeth and Southwark - let me know, and I will forward
          them. If they happen in Greenwich or Lewisham I will forward them to Len
          Duvall's office.

          Sara

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 19, 2003
            Sara,

            I am told that her email address is:-

            margarita.gonzalez@...

            On the second issue - I agree that this left turn is not a good one at all - especially given the coaches that access Tower Bridge.

            Pls do contact her and see if we can improve what is after all an improvement in itself.

            Best regards

            Douglas

          • John Hearns
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 19, 2003
              On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Sara Apps wrote:
              > There is another issue which is when you are going down Tooley Street in
              > the other direction, the road which splits off for Queen Elizabeth
              > Street (I think) is not properly marked and I am quite worried about
              > getting cut across by a car or one of the many coaches that turns up
              > that way.

              Just after all the works were finished on Tooley Street I was riding past
              there. A hot hatch type car came across the front of me.
              I stopped to shout at the driver, and got some dog's abuse back.
              The gist of what he was saying was that I should have turned left -
              and he was obviously expecting me to.
              The road markings don't make it clear that this is a left turn,
              not a fork in the road.
            • home@rstocker.freeserve.co.uk
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 19, 2003

                I am well aware of these problems (in my capacity as Southwark's cycling officer). I have sent my comments on Tooley Street to TfL (john Lee - Johnlee@...) which included photos of the major problem points (the left turn onto Tower Bridge is dangerous). I understand that the Tooley Street scheme was implemented by 3 seperate firms of consultants which may well explain certain aspects. Southwark Cyclists (Barry Mason) have been involved throughout.

                It may be worth emailing Rose Ades although I would think that she is well aware of the problems.

                Roger Stocker

                Message date : Nov 19 2003, 11:35 AM