Re: [greenwichcyclists] fubar freewheel

  • Ayako Dobson
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10 12:18 PM
      on 9/9/03 12:21 am, Mr T enyen at tenyen-southwark@... wrote:

      > grrr,
      >
      > this evenining coming out of the north end of the greenwich tunnel (after
      > having run, not cycled, through and carried my bike up the stairs!) my
      > freewheel became altoghether too free and I lost all traction! I got to my
      > intended destination (limehouse town hall) and back by finding cable ties,
      > bits
      > of string and wire to tie my upper gear to my spokes. I'm sure this did not
      > do
      > my spokes, wheel, chain or cassette any good!
      >
      > questions:
      >
      > Broken Freewheel!? never heard of this! can't imagine it happens often?
      > Is there anything I could have done to prevent it? (I must admit to having
      > felt it slipping a few times this week and put it down to it being about time
      > to get a new cassette and chain)
      >
      > Is a freewheel repairable? does anyone have an extraction tool (hyperglide
      > freewheel?) they could lend me if I gave them a deposit? (I have a "cassette
      > cracker" cassette removal tool (can't help but wonder if this has accelerated
      > the demise of my freewheel and I should be using a proper chain whip?))
      >
      > Anyone know where I can get a bargain freewheel?
      >
      > hoping that this will not mean I have to have a wheel rebuild ;(
      >
      > (this ofcourse happens in the week that I enthusiastically lend my spare bike
      > to an out of town friend of a friend!)
      >
      > you should have seen me taking corners, junctions and lights at speed with my
      > feet out of the pedals while they spun furiously! not a great example of
      > "roadcraft" ;)
      >
      > werd,

      From your description, you have a hyperglide cassette freehub. There is
      nothing wrong with using a cassette cracker on these: it just saves having
      to use a vice. If squirting WD40 into the works doesn't get freehub working
      again, then it sounds like the ratchet has had it. I've never taken these
      apart, but according to Sheldon Brown http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html,
      they are servicable. I think you might have to buy a new hub: a perfect
      opportunity to learn how to build a wheel. I have the tools you would need
      to do this, and Sheldon Brown tells you how. Conversely, you can get some
      very good deals on built wheels, and it could be an opportunity to optimise
      your gear ratios.

      Julian Dobson
    • Mr T enyen
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10 3:11 PM
        Heya,

        thanks for all your ( > 10 ! ;) replies, they were all very helpful! I've now
        stripped and cleaned everything, down to the point where I need to remove the
        fixing bolt as per:

        http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/freebod.gif

        (sheldon brown rulez!)

        and lack a 10mm Allen key. At least I think i do . . . the fixing bolt has
        splines on it so it *might* need a special tool, but it will probably mesh
        with a 10mm allen key. I also received a possible offer for a spare freewheel
        but suggestions of price, place and availability will still be appreciated.

        werd,

        --
        -- HpA, hPa, j0y, j0y ! tenyen@... | ]
        -- web/ info/ gpg : http://www.spc.org/~tenyen/ _#_#_ ] .