Car Free Day

  • douglas.ellison@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 10, 2002
      I am not a believer that making an area car free does not nothing more than annoy motorists and the poublic at large because of the inconvenience and disruption it causes, especially in the Greenwich area.

      If any positive result is to occur it simply has to be by capturing the imagination of drivers and the public at large in a way that the London Marathon does - have you ever heard of anyone complain about the streets being closed for the Marathon?

      Therefore any event has to be on a Sunday and has to be positive. I have always favoured some form of cycle race (with celebrity riders and/or a local race open to borough residents) or cyclethon to try to get people to enjoy cycling and therefore be more willing to participate (and indeed be more sympathetic would be a start).

      That said, it seems to me that September is also wrong in that there is 101 excuses not to ride with the onset of Autumn/Winter. Better to do something in May or June when there is the prospect of better weather for a couple of months and light evenings.

      The fact an angry and frustrated motorist is never going to look favourably on cycling as an alternative. The only way for anything meaningful to be accomplished is to have them enjoy themsleves and build from there.

      Best regards

      Douglas

      A message from Councillor Douglas Ellison

      Home: 020 8853 1921
      Mobile: +44 7740 463191

      52 Beaconsfield Road
      London
      SE3 7LG

      www.elthamnorth.com
    • John Hearns
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 2, 2004
        I just had a look at the Greenwich Council website.
        http://www.greenwich.gov.uk/Greenwich/Travel/CarFreeDay.htm

        'Four wheels bad, two wheels good'

        The site reminded me that that weekend is also London Open House
        weekend.
        If we get enough people along to help with Car Free Day,
        maybe we could work in a ride to some of the buildings?
        Worth thinking about, but car free day comes first.