Re: [greenwichcyclists] Fw: [londoncarfreedays] FW: Car Free Day - Please respond by Friday

  • Liz Delap
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 10, 2002
      I think Sunday would be much better than monday
      That's on a personal and a general level. I think it will antagonise
      working people (ie weekday) but be fun on a nonworking day. Much greater
      participation likely

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 10, 2002
        What 'WE' can do is be positive and promote cycling as a great mode of
        transport.

        EcoVegan is sick of being cut up. I am equally sick of hearing people
        describe their bike rides as death-defying missions of lunacy.

        I love my rides around London. Yes, some people around me do make mistakes
        but the majority of London's road users just want to get to their
        destination with the minimum of fuss and stress. I love to demonstrate how
        fuss-less and stress free my bike ride can be.

        Get me drunk sometime and I'll discuss passionately the pros of assertive
        riding styles, not aggressive or deliberately obstructive riding, but
        knowing where to be on the road and how to negotiate with other road users
        about the space required for your safe travel.

        Ade

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2002
          I agree with Adrian; while part of my daily commute to work
          involves busy roads, I feel it is really not particulary "dangerous".
          It's a matter of being aware of what's going on around (and
          behind) you; anticipation.

          Yes, it would be nice to have relatively traffic free main roads into
          central London, but if one plans a sensible route one can avoid
          the worst bottlenecks and have a fairly-traffic free route into town
          (at least as far as London Bridge). In three years of regular daily
          commuting I''ve had more "near misses" with foxes than cars –
          and they've been rare enough.

          Some of a rather pedantic nature argue that a relatively quieter
          route incurs an extension of 10 or so minutes' time to their
          particular journey; my reply to them would be: leave home earlier.
          There's too many would-be time-trialists jumping red lights and
          giving us all a bad reputation.

          -- In greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian Monk"

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > ---
          24/10/02

          > ---
          24/10/02
        • Doug
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 10, 2002
            It is important to remember that it is 'European' Car Free Day.

            Why hold the event on a Sunday when the rest of Europe is doing it on Monday?

            Doesn't this merely emphasis the fact that the UK is indeed a nation of car
            lovers and we are pandering yet again to the motorist?

            Doug.

          • Richard Stringer
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 14, 2002
              I have been travelling in north of the river since the summer. There is less competition with the car, even when I'm on a dual carriageway I think its safer because its not snarled up like Greenwich.

              To illustrate my point, I came home south of the river from the city because I was running late. A car and a bus did their very best to kill me ; the car by Greenwich hospital and the bus just past the Waterfront. In between a white van came close but the standard this evening was off the very highest stupidity so I won't count them.

              Going north adds 10 minutes to my time, I consider it time well spent ( even when the lifts aren't working !)

              God Bless

              Richard Stringer

              <adrian.monk@l...> wrote:
              > What 'WE' can do is be positive and promote cycling as a great
              mode of
              > transport.
              >
              > EcoVegan is sick of being cut up. I am equally sick of hearing
              people
              > describe their bike rides as death-defying missions of lunacy.
              >
              > I love my rides around London. Yes, some people around me
              do make mistakes
              > but the majority of London's road users just want to get to their
              > destination with the minimum of fuss and stress. I love to
              demonstrate how
              > fuss-less and stress free my bike ride can be.
              >
              > Get me drunk sometime and I'll discuss passionately the pros
              of assertive
              > riding styles, not aggressive or deliberately obstructive riding,
              but
              > knowing where to be on the road and how to negotiate with
              other road users
              > about the space required for your safe travel.
              >
              > Ade

              24/10/02

              > ---
              24/10/02