News Shopper coverage

  • Nick Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2000
      I've sent a quick response to the News Shopper article just to clarify our
      position:

      Letters to the Editor
      News Shopper
      Crest View Drive
      Petts Wood
      Kent BR5 1BT

      For publication

      Dear Sir or Madam

      I am writing on behalf of the Greenwich Cyclists to make it clear that, in
      principle, we have no objection to the proposed cycle contraflow in
      Aldeburgh Street (Cycling Routes may not be safe, News Shopper 24 May). In
      fact we have not yet seen the proposal.

      We do agree with the Council that these contraflows can work very
      effectively, there are plenty of good examples elsewhere in London. But
      the point is that just like every other borough resident, we want to see
      the council use its money effectively. This means that cycle schemes have
      to be developed in consultation with potential users as well as residents.
      If they are not, they will simply be introducing expensive white elephants
      that actually do more harm than good to the cyclists' cause.

      Yours sincerely

      Nick Williams